solar array wire size

bajamox
bajamox Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭
i am following sizing chart for my morningstar mppt60 controler and it states a 1/0 wire size is proper for my needs. Here is my beginners question, do I use the 1/0 after all my panels are connected together with the 10AWG wires that fit in my MF4 connectors?

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    bajamox wrote: »
    i am following sizing chart for my morningstar mppt60 controler and it states a 1/0 wire size is proper for my needs. Here is my beginners question, do I use the 1/0 after all my panels are connected together with the 10AWG wires that fit in my MF4 connectors?

There are two wire sizes to contend with. From the combiner to the controller, and from the battery to the controller. I am a little uncertain which cable you are referring to. Tell us more about your solar array, combiner, distance from combiner to controller, and battery.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • bajamox
    bajamox Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Hi vtmars, thanks for trying to help.
    My situation consists of this; I have a shack down in Baja Norte I have two solar arrays three panels each, (Canadian solar 255 W) these arrays of 3 each are wired together with 10 gauge wires and MC4 "Y"connectors. My first question is: Can I continue using 10 gauge wire from the connected arrays to my charge controllers?, one array of three panels goes to a Renogy 45 mp MPPT ( probably a little undersized) The other array of three panels is wired to a MorningStar 60 amp MPPT, both monitored with remote meters
    , or should I use a heavier wire? The distance from the charge controllers to my battery bank is under 2 feet the controllers are currently connected to battery bank with self-twisted pair of 10 gauge wires at both terminals. What size should this makeshift 4gauge wire be upgraded to? The battery bank currently consists of eight marathon 190 amp hour gel type deep cycle batteries. I have another four but ran out of time hooking them up. They will be connected for a total of 12 batteries in the bank. These batteries are fed to Xantrex Freedom 458 12 V 2000 W dual output inverter charger.
    My current load consists of a refrigerator, (the only information I could get on it power requirements 115V AC, 60HZ, 15 amp dedicated circuit. It pulls 428 kWh yearly,)
    also qty 5 115V AC 12 Watt LED bulbs used only at night, never all on the same time and one Samsung sound bar for music, Sound bar utilizes 30 W base speaker 20 W . Used maybe two hours per day.
    Loda is turned off when I am not there. Batteries continue to charge. After all was connected as above I noticed from weak batteries of 32% at 5:30 am the system was able to charge to 100% by 11:30 (6 hours) with refrigerator (Subzero TR700) running, lights used for 4 hours, music system for 3 hours Batteries at 6:30 next morning were down to 52% I’m thinking the additional 4 batteries are a necessity. System was back to 100% by 11:30 again. I’ve been told I should wire batteries for 24 volts but that would involve replacing the Xantrex for a 24 volt unit.
    Poor image quality at: https://mox90291.smugmug.com/organize/Baja/Casaita/i-qQG7q8H
    Any thoughts?
    Floating is fun but, I’d rather be surfing
    i-qQG7q8H