replaced aux battery, meter showing incorrect state of charge

Options
I replaced my dead flooded wet cell for a lower amp hour AGM. My panel reads "charging" even when it's not. Even after discharging to 12.4v, it hasn't changed. I can't for the life of me figure out why a simple battery replacement would cause this. The meter works, as it was able to distinguish when the previous battery was being charged, when it had some charge, and when it was flat.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    What brand/model of meter?

I am a bit confused... But if this is the meter on a solar charge controller... Try disconnecting the PV input first. Then disconnect the battery connection (lifting just the positive lead is fine--And/or use the breaker if present). Then, first connect the battery bank. Second connect the PV input. It is possible to confuse the solar charge controller if the PV line is connected first, then the battery connection (or in your case, if only the battery connection was changed, and the PV line left connected).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • K1ngN0thing
    K1ngN0thing Solar Expert Posts: 27
    Options
    The one built into the Roadtrek: http://s1073.photobucket.com/user/Roadtrek190Popular/media/Electric/IMG_0340.jpg.html

This battery isn't being charged by solar. It only gets charged when I'm driving or plugged in, but displays a charging state even when neither of those are happening.