Can you set a limit for charging with Charge controllers?

Freewilley
Freewilley Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭
Don't spend any energy asking why, but I would like to know if I can use the Mate to set a maximum input from my PV array, similar to the way you can limit the generator's charging input....

thanks
Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
12 volt Flojet water pump
off grid summer home in northern Ontario

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    You have to check the manuals (I am certainly no expert)--But some MPPT controllers you can set the Vmp manual instead of using automatic MPPT tracking.

And the Outbacks, as I recall, you can set the maximum output current to the battery bank. Not exactly setting the Imp level.

And a few MPPT controllers can be programmed for Wind Turbine IV/RPM curves (don't know about Outback).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Freewilley wrote: »
    Don't spend any energy asking why, but I would like to know if I can use the Mate to set a maximum input from my PV array, similar to the way you can limit the generator's charging input....

You can set an output limit directly from the FM60. I don't think you can do that from the mate... maybe from the mate3.

If you have Outback's FlexnetDC, hub, and mate3 you can set a global battery charging limit. It works by throttling back the FM60 if other sources are charging the battery.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Freewilley
    oh, from the CC...
    So, I went to Charger and the first screen is current limit, which is set at 60. that is the value I would adjust?
    Mate, VFX 2812, FM 60 & MX 60, 2 Full River AGM 400 6v, 1400 watt Solar Array, Yamaha 3000iSEB inverter gen
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Freewilley wrote: »
    oh, from the CC...
    So, I went to Charger and the first screen is current limit, which is set at 60. that is the value I would adjust?

yes. but why do you want to limit the current? Your signature shows you have over 800 ah of battery and your FM 60 cannot put out more than 60 amps. That's not too much for those batteries.

Your signature also shows an MX60... is that the problem? Do you have another array connected to it? Is the total of both controllers too much for your batteries?

--vtMaps

edit: I think I know why you want to limit your charging... I just saw your other post about isolating your batteries... apparently you want to charge just two of your batteries at a time.
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Freewilley
    It is all related to my separating my 2 strings of batteries (in that other thread you contributed to) so that I can fully charge both strings of batteries and reposition the low battery in my bank.
    If my bank is only 2 S550s, I know (because you have told me in the past) that my full array will be too much current for them.
    So I am thinking if I just limit my solar current, then I am in good shape and do not have to worry about full sun sending too much juice.

I believe that my generator limit with 2 batteries should be around 6 amps, which I set through the Mate....what is the number for 12 volts? Around 70 amps? I have 2 CCs so my present limit right now is 120 (60 each).
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My midnight Classic and Morningstar MPPT60 both allow for limiting output amps via remote programming.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    This is an item that really needs to be addressed via the MATE manual. It will walk you through the exact steps. I have done the exact same thing with my MATE (limiting battery charging when I was using some Gels). It was relatively easy.

I think you can also do it via the FM60 using the same steps as the MATE.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    There are 3 options.

Timed float

VMP bulk

VMP float
    Apparently the bugs are still getting worked out so the sell mode can be adjusted for peak or off peak hours for better use battery charging with smaller banks (for hybrids only).

Until then though most people are using 240v/80amp timer switches as a transfer switch, to regulate peak and off peak use for battery charging. (for hybrids only)
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    There are 3 options.

Timed float

VMP bulk

VMP float
    Apparently the bugs are still getting worked out so the sell mode can be adjusted for peak or off peak hours for better use battery charging with smaller banks (for hybrids only).

Until then though most people are using 240v/80amp timer switches as a transfer switch, to regulate peak and off peak use for battery charging. (for hybrids only)

... Perhaps, BUT, softdown is completely Off-Grid ...

softdown, YES, you can set an Output Current Limit in the FM-60 itself. Quite possibly on the Mate, too.

Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.