Aquatec input strainer cracked twice in 6 months.

Options
Dave Angelini
Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
[COLOR=#000000 !important]July 5th, 2015, 15:55[/COLOR]

Originally posted by Blackcherry04 View Post
Re: Small demand pumps and their brushes... who knew?

Having had DC pumps in the Marine environment for many years the shurflo is 30 year old technology. Here is the best IMO in 12V, 24V or 120V ac. it's 5.5 gpm and has a adjustable pressure switch.

http://www.energybay.org/aquatec-550...ure-pump-24vdc

I have a question for you. One of my clients has had 2 of the Aquatec 24V pumps fail by the input strainer cracking. The pump is fine but this is weird. They do have a tank with 30 feet of vertical height when full feeding the pump. This has never cause a problem before in 10 years with a Shureflo pump with strainer. I have a phone call into Aquatec but thought I would ask you if you have had any issues? Both of the strainers with cracks were impossible to open without a pipe wrench. This makes me think they were over titghtened at the factory and then stress cracked after a few months.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
   htps://offgridsolar1.com/
E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

Comments

• Hill_Country
    Hill_Country Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited September 2016 #2
    Options
    The plastic screw-on cap on my Aquatec 550 strainer (located just before my Aquatec 550 24v DC pump inlet port in my setup) cracked as well.  The crack ran across the clear plastic face of the strainer and luckily only leaked a very tiny amount (i.e. not catastrophic!).  I currently have duct tape on it to enable me to hobble along until the replacement strainer arrives.  It has only been installed for 14 months, which seems like a premature failure to me.  I have removed the cap on the strainer once before to clean the filter, but was very careful not to overtighten the plastic cap!  Hopefully others have not had this issue.  If it happens again with the new strainer I'm going to look at another strainer type that isn't prone to failure like this. 
    100% Off-grid with: 8 Solarworld 275 Watt Panels, 8 Concorde SunXtender 405aH 6v AGM Batteries, MS-4448PAE 48v Inverter, MidNite Solar Classic 200 Charge Controller, 10,000 gallon rainwater collection system, etc.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited September 2016 #3
    Options
    It probably will. My client bought an external filter and has not had a problem for 2 years.

• Hill_Country
    Hill_Country Solar Expert Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Options
    Did Aquatec ever return your phone call regarding the cracked strainer for your client?  If so, what did Aquatec say?  I know the warranty on these is probably only a year...but just wanted to see what you found out.
    100% Off-grid with: 8 Solarworld 275 Watt Panels, 8 Concorde SunXtender 405aH 6v AGM Batteries, MS-4448PAE 48v Inverter, MidNite Solar Classic 200 Charge Controller, 10,000 gallon rainwater collection system, etc.
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    I am not sure what they said (This pump was not my reccomendation) but the third one failed from a different lot/date and that was it for me. Nice stainless steel case filter in there now. I think there was 20psi on it from a full tank up the hill.
    The pump has been fine all the time.