AGM vs Others

Options
2»

Comments

• lamplight
    lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: AGM vs Others

found this thread researching batteries and my question was so related i thought it might be cleaner on the forum to just post here (i hope it is):

my t-105's are coming up on 5 years and ive abused, overused, undercharged and otherwise neglected them and i think its going to be time for new batts hopefully by end of summer if I have the $. Since i just added a panel (700w now) i want to up my AH capacity a bit as well. I have heard such great things over the years here about agms's (and in this thread) but to get the kind of AH capacity i need would cost about as much as the solar panels did. that is ridiculous to me. plus as others have said to pay that huge premium i get a shorter warranty?!?!

I totally get the higher efficiency, less charging current and zero maint. but those three points on lifespan, cost and warranty are each notable.

can AGMS run longer than 5 years? you hear about t-105's and other larger batts lasting up to 10 yrs.

i have been think maybe ill get a larger capacity battery (L16'ish) so i can have a little of both worlds: less cells to water, and a nice HUGE warranty, and middle of the road cost. one major disadvantage being the weight.

my current favorite contender is the surrette 6CS-17PS 6-Volt Battery 546AH $871 here on naw&s. lot more $ than t-105s but . surely some people here run surrettes? wondering if anyone knows if the water miser caps fit these type of surrettes and/or if similar products are available for them.
  • trkarl
    trkarl Solar Expert Posts: 33
    Options

Hi lamplight,

Funny you are considering the 6cs17ps surrettes. Feb. 24th I replaced my trojan t125 bank with same surrettes. They have only been used a little over a month so I can't give you a long term report but so far they are a huge improvement. Then again it's not a real apples to apples comparison. More like apples to watermelons.
  • lamplight
    lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

glad to hear it. it says theres a full 3.75" of extra room when watering, which isnt quite clear. so does that really mean theres 3.75" of acid above the plates (lots more than the 1/4 to 1/2" in a golf cart battery, which should allow for a LOT more flexibility in the watering schedule and overspill)

matt
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Although I don't mind it (too much) watering the 64 L-16s' three times a year isn't too bad. Takes an hour or so.

Since I'm a little undependable, I chose the "brutish" flooded L-16s' which I hoped would be more forgiving in my off grid condition.

The thought of moving my batteries and cables more than once every nine years was a big incentive towards reliability.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers