System design to run 2 X 1.3 KW Single Phase Swimming Pool Pump via Off-Grid System

Options
nthamizh
nthamizh Registered Users Posts: 10
I would like to run 2 X 1.3 KW Single Phase Swimming Pool Pump. If I go for Off-Grid System, what would be the minimum battery capacity required to run the pump during day time provided, I can put more Solar PV on the roof.

How do I design a system, where the battery usage comes only for starting the pump and once started, the power taken from Solar PV. Is this type of design possible, please let me know.

Thanks for your reply.

- Arasan

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Actually the best way I have heard of to do swimming pool pumps off grid is to do a DC direct system like this.

http://www.altestore.com/store/Solar-Pool-Heaters/Solar-Pool-Pump/Lorentz-Solar-Pool-Pump-with-PS600-Controller/p5827/
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nthamizh wrote: »
    I would like to run 2 X 1.3 KW Single Phase Swimming Pool Pump.

That's "only" 2.6 kwh/hr.
    Hummm, how many hours per day do you intend to run these pumps?
    I fear you're looking at a monster and extremely expensive off grid system to run these pumps.
    More info needed on the pumps as well. Is that 1.3 Kw the mechanical output of the motor running the pump, or is it the power consumption of the pump?
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    Options
    2.6kWh pump is only possible with a 3 or 4 stage variable speed pump which requires 240v, 30amp branch circuit.

I have a client with a 3.8kWh grid tied system with a 3stage variable speed pump, jandy brand. The grid tied system is net zero on the bills.
  • nthamizh
    Options
    Is there a possibility for the below design
    - Use battery ONLY for starting 2 X 1.3 KW Pumps
    - Once started, the power from Solar PV directly support the pump running

Please let me know.

- Arasan
  • SolarPowered
    Options
    KWh and hours of duration are important. Please advise
  • nthamizh
    Options
    Would like to run 2 X 1.3 KW Pumps for 5 Hrs during day time. I wanted to keep the battery back-up low and put more Solar PV.
  • SolarPowered
    Options
    5 hours seems like a lot of hours for any pump.

How many gallons are in your pool. Is it salt water or chlorine? Is the inlet and outlet pipes on the pump 2" in diameter and smaller ?

I believe you may be having some restructuring issues, and you might be investing into to much solar to compensate for hours that may not be necessary for the pump.