which inverter

Options
petertearai
petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
Hi .
Considering upgrading my inverter . Present 12 volt 1800 xantrex ps inverter, Is still going strong after 8 years . However looking at 24 volts . Maybe outback fx2024 or magnum ms4124pe .
How noisy are these 2 . ob is around 3k . magnum around 3.5 k $ . Which is best ?..
Both need a additional device to change parameters , Which is best.. Any advice would be appreciated .
Thanks Peter
2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 

Comments

• Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options
    One thing I like best about the Outback inverter / chargers is that the charger ramps up slowly. That prevents the full power "bang" that the Magnum places on the generator.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would use the same inverter make as your solar charger. Keep it simple on yourself. The Outback FM inverters were modeled after the old SW from Xantrex which has always ramped charge output and limited it by electronic breaker size. They (Trace) wrote the book.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• petertearai
    Options
    thanks for replys . Yes it would be simpler to stay with outback. if i get a mate, then temp sensor can be shared .If I go with the unsealed version how much extra fan noise will there be . THe unsealed one has a higher rating .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I would not want it inside the living space.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if i get a mate, then temp sensor can be shared

Not so. To share a temp sensor you need an Outback hub. If that is the only reason to get a hub, then it is much much cheaper to just buy an extra temp sensor.

But you do need a Mate... the mate is the control panel for the inverter charger. There are two reasons that Outback (and other manufacturers) make their controls as a separate item rather than built into the inverter charger. The first reason is that you may want the controls to be in a remote location... I have my Mate in the house but the inverter is in the garage. The second reason is that the inverters can be stacked... you only need one Mate to control several inverter chargers. If you had four inverter chargers stacked, you would not be happy to pay for four built in control panels.

--vtMaps

4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd stick with what you have unless it's not meeting your needs, if you intend to reconfigure your battery bank then the only addition you get is a charging feature and very slightly more output. Is it worth the price/

I'm happy with my Prosine 1800, all-be-it, a 24volt version. and I had designed this system to run on a 3500watt inverter, but I've worked around things and likely I'll use it and it's backup, and an Exeltech 1100 I picked up cheap and use for yard work... well until something dies, and I'll keep money in the bank so I'll have it when I need it. Not sure any of my Prosines are less than 8 years old. Though I did have one go out, but I already had another exmilitary as a back up
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • petertearai
    Options
    Thanks again for replys . One reason for upgrading inveter and 24 volts is that i can then double my panells with the same charge controller and cabling . Holiday home may soon get 3 or 4 moths full time use hence thinking of more pv .
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Petertearil", I only now came across a message you sent me a couple of months ago, sorry about that. AND with this new forum design, I could find no way to respond to that message, so am doing it here - - finally!

Yes, I have had the covers off both my Prosine 1000 and Prosine 1800. The top covers come off very easily, just a few screws, I think 6, forget exactly. The physical size of the two inverters is identical. The internals are identical - - except a few parts that are in the 1800, were not installed in the 1000. Very easy to see what's inside, very easy to blow out any dust etc.

Re your fan coming on more often, both my inverters fans are triggered on by the size of the load the inverter is feeding. Low power load or no load, and the fan doesn't run, no matter the temperature. Medium load and the fan comes on full speed for a few seconds, then slows down by having it's power supply chopped up, making it sound like it's stuttering. Heavier load and the fan switches to high (full) speed.

All this is regardless of temperature. It can be minus 18C (0 F), or +35C (+95F), it matters not. So I expect you are now running slightly larger loads than you used to during your inverter's early life. Hope this helps. BTW, my inverters are in an unheated, uninsulated outbuilding, thus the temp extremes.

One is nearing 9 years, is second hand, and is on 24/7. The second is about 5 years old and operates in power save mode, only firing up when loads are applied.

Wayne
  • petertearai
    Options
    Hi Wayne
    Thanks for your reply .