TCP/IP network capable devices

Options
benthere
benthere Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
Does anyone know which models of inverters, charge controllers, etc. use TCP/IP networking and standard protocols like SNMP, syslog, etc? Any that have a console or web interface for configuration or monitoring?

I'm a computer guy getting ready to build an off-grid system and would like to be able to monitor/control the system remotely. I'm not yet sure if by "remotely" I mean from the kitchen table or from anywhere on the Internet, but it only matters for the power required to run an up-link full time.

It looks to me like PV Powered has some grid-tied inverters that publish data to the PV Powered website which users can then interact with. That looks like standard SNMP stuff to me.

I noted that the Outback charge controllers use RJ45 connectors, but use "proprietary" communication protocols. I don't even know if I should believe them to be on a TCP/IP network based only on the physical interface used. Any input on this?

Thanks for helping the noob!

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: TCP/IP network capable devices

No current inverter or chargers have built in TCP/IP, some manufactures have gateway devices that allow web interface ( Xantrex for example ) that interface between the manufactures protocol and a TCP/IP network

Number one on your list should be how the equipment performs, for a whole house you pretty much limits you to Xantrex and Outback, Xantrex being the leader in features, efficiency and regulatory compliance.
  • blackswan555
    blackswan555 Solar Expert Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Options

For outback,
    http://wattplot.com/ ,
    http://www.mysolarlog.com/cms/
    and others @ http://outbackpower.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

Limited "remote control" on wattplot,

Have a good one
    Tim
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Good Day

I'm going to execute A Project of the Following by usethe Outback FLEXmax Charge Controller :
    Scope Of work:
    To replace the/13/ an old existing 48 volts solar charge controllers with a new /13/ reliable solar Charge controller to charge the batteries and supply load current for telecom equipment in the same time for 13 sites along 500km pipe line, where the distance between sites about 30km to 50 km, all sites are equipped with telecom system.
    Telecom equipment is energized from solar panels, solar panels are arranged and connected in three arrays to generate 10-15 amp maximally of each array, means, the total generated current is approximately 45amps.
    BATTARIES:
    - Backup batteries 2 v, 700 am/h are interconnected for 48v output.
    - The solar controller is both charging the batteries and supply load current for telecom equipment.
    SPECIFICATIONS OF THE NEW EQUIPMENT:
    - Should be support these types of batteries FLA, and GEL.
    - Rating: 48 volts and 45 amps DC current.
    - Output current 60 A.
    - Input voltage ranges 16 to 112 VDC Operating, 140 VDC Maximum Circuit Voltage.
    - Max PV array power 5200 watts (Maximum when equalizing 48v battery to 64v at b80Amps.
    - The controller must be equipped with batteries remote temperature sensor.
    - On/Off LCD to display Status reporting and show all controller readings.
    - Input Voltage & Current, Output Voltage & Current, Charge Mode and Battery State of Charge and others must be displayed.
    - Charging regulations five stages: Bulk, Absorption, Float, Silent and Equalization.
    - Solar array at least 2500 W/ 48 VDC.
    - Operating temperature rating Minimum -5 C° to Maximum 60 C°.
    - The ambient humidity 100%.
    - The final setting must be saving in case of shutdown.
    - The controller must be running under windows software application.
    - All settings and calibration must be carried out by personal computer with USB or RS232 connection.
    - Taken into consideration that telecom equipment is positive ground.
    - The system shall be protected against reverse polarity of the batteries and solar cable.
    - The system shall be switched on to boosting charging mode when the batteries need more charging current as long as no overheat observed.
    - The system must be automatically switched to floating mode after full charging.
    - Over-temperature condition shall reduce the solar current.
    - The controller shall facilitate with charging current equalizer to components the effect temperature variation.
    - Overload or short circuit current limit feature.
    DRAY CONTACT RELAYS FOR LOCAL ALARMS:
    - Low batteries voltage-adjustable setting.
    - High batteries voltage-adjustable setting.
    - Low voltage disconnects 44 volt-adjustable setting.
    - High temperature –adjustable setting.
    - Solar overload current-adjustable setting.
    MANAGEMENT SYSTEM:
    Since Ethernet connection is available in telecom system, therefore the new solar controller shall support Ethernet connect 10/100 Mb.
    - Network server shall be installed in base Site (Communications Building).
    - All sites must be easy accessed by lunching Internet Explorer after have setting all sites for IP address.
    - Full manageability privileges shall be enabled for network administration in base Site (Communications Building).
    - Data logging for the last 60 days of operating, Amp Hours, Time in Float, Amps, Solar Array Voltage, and Absorb for each day along with total Accumulated Amp Hours, and KW Hours of production.
    - The GUI shall display a map of the system shown all sites in an approximately of their geographical positions.
    - Clicking on a site on the map shall provide a detailed graphical view of the site, all installed equipment modules, their operating states etc.
    - The GUI shall include features such as color changes to represent different equipment states (green = normal, yellow = alarm, red = down etc.).
    - Updating of display colors and alarms logs shall be automatic with 30 seconds of state.
    - The management system shall be able to be configured in differential level of configuration authorities, e. g. Administrator, Operator, Viewer, etc.
    - The Solar Charge Controller Set must be included inside wall mount cabinets with transparence door, the door shall be sealed with robber frame to keep the controller cleaned.
    - No failure is accepted during the installation or during switching over to the new system.

BR,
    Eihab
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sounds sweet, who makes it ?

I do question the GEL batteries, which have drawbacks, compared to AGM.

Not many things carry a 100% humidity spec.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,