lithium iron phosphate batteries

tikidog
tikidog Registered Users Posts: 5
Has anyone tried the lithium iron phosphate batteries for off grid, got a advertisement about +3000 cycles at 50% DOD and holding steady voltage throughout life, but holy cow are they expensive. but a ten plus years batteries ?? is it worth it and they are so small in size. trying to get away from the 24 and 27 size batteries that are replaced every few years.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't have to move to a LiFePo battery to get away from replacing batteries every few years. I use a 800 ah single 24 volt forklift battery, I expect to get 15 years service from it, Northern Arizona Wind and Sun says the y find 20 years not unusual for the crown forklift/traction batteries they sell.

LiFePo definitely have their place, I can see real advantages in use in motor homes, but at @3x the price and about the same warranty as forklift batteries... if you want to buy a lift battery made for solar look into the H.U.P. batteries.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.