xantrex inverter

My inverter fan is starting to run a lot more often when even light loads are running . Maybe warm weather , . However it is getting on in age now. Im thinking of opening it up to check for insects or dust build up . Has anyone ever opened up there Xantrax ps 1800. If so is it easy?
Regards Peter
2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi "petertearal", Yes, I've had both my Xantrex Prosine 1800 and my Xantrex Prosine 1000 12 volt inverters apart. If this is the 1800 watt inverter you have, then the following applies, otherwise ignore the following.
    Remove a few small screws and the top lifts off. Inside, and for the most part inside as well, they are identical.
    In both cases, the ones I have run their fans depending on LOADS the inverter is running, NOT because of temperature. In by case, BOTH of these inverters don't run their fans when powering only light loads, but slightly larger loads trigger the fans to run at a low speed, with the fans making what at first sounds like a terrible noise, the result of the fan motors being rapidly switched on and off, sort of like pulse width speed control. Heavier loads cause the fans in both inverters to power up to full speed, REGARDLESS of the temperature. It could be minus 25C, or +30, it matters not, the fans are powered on or off depending on the load the inverters are presented with. Hope this helps. BTW, my smaller inverter is on 24/7 to power smaller loads needing continuous power. The larger one is in power save mode and only fires up when the water pump or other heavy loads need to run. I suspect your loads may be a bit bigger than they used to be and this is causing the fan to run more. That's not saying however that you should not check for dust buildup inside.
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks . I will look into the inverter . Thanks for your info on how it runs. Temps here over summer around 24 deg , down to maybe 4 middle winter on rare occasions, At moment fan seems to run with anything over about 7 amps on the dc input . ( 12 volt ).
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    At moment fan seems to run with anything over about 7 amps on the dc input . ( 12 volt ).
    I would say that's perfectly normal compared to the ones I have. Awesome. Yes, without having a second one, or being able to chat with someone who also has one the same, you just don't know if it's normal.
    I've been extremely pleased with mine. The smaller one I purchased second hand, it's now about 8 years old if I remember right. The bigger one about 4 years. They're both located in an unheated out building, so are subjected to temperature extremes, especially in winter when the temp drops far below their rated operating temp range.