Max Amp Charge Setting for Crown Batteries W/ Morningstar TriStar MPPT-60

KJ7YM
KJ7YM Solar Expert Posts: 30 ✭✭
I have a 24 volt system, with a 1000 W Solar Panel set. The Battery Bank consist of two strings of two 12 Volt Crown CR-185 Batteries. This system runs my home Refrigerator/Freezer while keeping the batteries at 20% DOD or less. It has been in service for a couple of months now, and I am quite pleased. When I was first setting up the system, I set the controllers max charge rate to 45 Amps, because the Crown documentation for my batteries said that they should be limited to 45 A. But since then I started thinking that with the 4 batteries set up as they are, may only allow the batteries to see half of the charge current as I am pretty sure they split the charge current in two between the parallel connection. Does this logic ring true to anyone else?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin
    Yes, you are correct. Parallel connected batteries will each (on average) share about 50% of the current.

Assuming all is going well (no bad connections, matched cable lengths between strings, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset