Method to slow down the charging rate to Gel batteries?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭
Attachment not found. Bought most of my system before I knew hardly anything. Wound up with about 4 good ED8's (125 lbs each) and six unused Gel 109 Ah 220 GXLs by Alpha Cell. All 12 volt.

Got my panels up, a bigger chore than anticipated. About 3.4 KW of charging power on a clear day. Now I am worried that I will "burn up" the Gels because of strong charging capabilities. Gels are reportedly not to be charged at over a 5% rate....or death may result.

Yes....I know that I screwed up on the batteries. I also know that I was likely to kill my first battery bank so I opted for "1/2 price learner specials" so to speak. The six unused Gels costs me $450 total....a great price.

Budget is a high priority. That is why I have suffered/enjoyed through the DIY experience.

48 volt system

Will also do a 500 watt wind generator sometime this year....with luck.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdown
    So far the only idea I have is to charge the Gel batteries via "small" copper cables.....maybe ~ 12 AWG. In theory, this may limit the charging rate.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin
    If these are the only batteries in the bank, just dial back the charging voltage to something like ~14.2 volts (12 volt battery bank). That should help reduce charging current.

I tried going to their website to see if they had a manual for the battery--But I could not get it to load.

https://www.alpha.ca/ecommerce/shopping.asp?action=&SeriesGroup=Batteries%28AlphaCell%29&TaxSystem=4&Currency=USD&CCProc=

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Thanks for an idea that seems sound. Yes....one 48 volt bank of E8Ds and one 48 volt bank of 109 Ah gels.

Perhaps I should simply cover up half of my panels during the six, or so, highest months for solar production? And disconnect them as well.
    BB. wrote: »
    If these are the only batteries in the bank, just dial back the charging voltage to something like ~14.2 volts (12 volt battery bank). That should help reduce charging current.

I tried going to their website to see if they had a manual for the battery--But I could not get it to load.

https://www.alpha.ca/ecommerce/shopping.asp?action=&SeriesGroup=Batteries%28AlphaCell%29&TaxSystem=4&Currency=USD&CCProc=

-Bill
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi soft..,

Glad to read that you have installed your PVs.

So, let's see ... do not really know what are ED8s ... perhaps that is what is often called an 8D battery (?). Do you have the specs for the ED8s?

The Gel batteries probably have lower Capacity than the ED8s, if those are 8D batteries, and you have six of the Gels, so you will have two left over when trying to use them on a 48 V system.

As BB Bill was implying, Gels and other battery technologies may not be very compatible, if one was trying to run a string of Flooded batteries in parallel with the Gels.

Your FM80 should have the ability to set the output current. This will help protect the Gels, but it will also limit the maximum current available to something like five or six amps (f the manufacturer limits Max charge current to 5% of C) , including any loads on your inverter. This seems to be a very small battery bank for the inverter and PV power that you have available. With this low current limit, the system will not make good use of the PV you have, on sunny days -- not much over 350 watts delivered by the CC toward the batteries plus loads.

The ED8 batteries might have about double the Capacity of the Gels, but that also seems a bit small ...

So, I guess that you want to get your feet wet with off-grid power systems, so the amount of battery Capacity may not be too important if you are just powering some smallish loads from the system.

Am trying to be a bit gentle. You probably have an even larger battery bank in your future, after you bond with these batteries. Just my opinions, Have Fun, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • softdown
    I think "350 watts" is a substantial under estimate. I'm thinking closer to 1500 watts. That is why I am considering the option of simply not using half of my panels for awhile. I've been getting by with less than 300 PV watts for quite awhile.

Isn't it BB who often rolls out the numbers for figuring 5% or 10% or 15% etc.?
  • BB.
    5-13% works out pretty well for solar charging (5% for weekend charging, 10-13%+ for daily usage, higher rate if you have significant daytime loads that "steal" charging current from battery bank).

GEL batteries (at least those sold in the USA) typically have a C/20 (5%) maximum recommended rate of charge--This makes them very difficult to use on a pure solar power system where there is a limited amount of time the sun is above the horizon (especially away from the equator in winter).

For example a 5% rate of charge for ~5 hours per day would only restore the charge of our "typical" recommendation of 25% per day (1/4 of battery capacity) as a standard design load. (2 days of storage, 50% maximum discharge). If you have poor weather/day with higher loads, it would be difficult to fully recharge a GEL battery bank without using a genset/utility power.

Apparently, Europe has GEL batteries without the C/20 limitation--I don't know anything about their details to say if Euro GELs would be good solution for solar or not.

Remember these are just rules of thumbs that allow us to do some quick back of the envelope sizing of off grid power systems where they charge during the day and supply power at night. If your system is "different" (i.e., heavy daytime loads such as irrigation/business equipment use, etc.) and/or your power needs follow the amount of sun (irrigation/Air Conditioning during hot weather, not much power needed during cloudy weather)--Then you have to look at how those variations would affect your design/needs.

-Bill "my 2 cents" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    From their documents page: http://www.alpha.com:8081/Media/Documents/AlphaCellGXL%2010_C003.pdf

Float Charging Voltage (Vdc): 13.5 to 13.8 13.5 to 13.8 13.5 to 13.8 AC Ripple Charger: 0.5% RMS or 1.5% of fl oat charge voltage recommended for best results. Max. allowed = 4% P-P

Well....that doesn't look too encouraging for robust recharge rates.
  • softdown
    All of these batteries are an expendable experiment. I keep wondering about just doing one big bank with all of them together. So an E8D would receive the charge then "trickle" it down to the parrallel GEL battery via something like 10 AWG wire. Basically attaching a gel to each E8D.

If it doesn't work....so be it. All I hope for is two years of usage.

But kind of a shame. The Alpha Cell batteries are quality batteries for the proper application. Only one of the six has seen any use. They charge to 13 volts.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    what about using a small Morning Star PWM CC for that?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • softdown
    Well....I have the Outback MATE setup where "everything" come pre-assembled.
  • Vic
    softdown wrote: »
    From their documents page: http://www.alpha.com:8081/Media/Docu...%2010_C003.pdf

Float Charging Voltage (Vdc): 13.5 to 13.8 13.5 to 13.8 13.5 to 13.8 AC Ripple Charger: 0.5% RMS or 1.5% of fl oat charge voltage recommended for best results. Max. allowed = 4% P-P

Hi soft ..,

Thanks for the Link to the Mfg's specs.

These batteries appear to be designed for Float Service, where they have Vfloat applied 24/7 from the Grid (at least customarily). Often, these batteries do not do too well in off-grid systems where they are cycled often/daily. BUT, you own them, so any way that they can contribute some power when the sun has set or it is stormy may be fine.

The resistance of small cables connecting these Gels to the ED8s could help limit the charging current, but, the other real limitation of Gel batteries is that they usually will simply not tolerate charge voltages above their narrow and fairly low specified values. This relatively low voltage spec is irrespective of current flowing into them, as charge current. So when the Gels are fully charged, there is almost no current flowing into them, so the higher customary voltage of the other batteries in the bank will not be dropped very much at all due to the low current. This high voltage at low current can still damage the Gels.

Again, these rules of thumb are often quoted, in the absence of absolute real specs from the battery manufacturer. You might try contacting the manufacturer, asking if there are specs on the maximum charge current, and any other details that might help you use them in an off-grid system.

It might be possible to try to charge them from a main bank of the ED8s, but it seems that it could be a bit complicated to try to get them to contribute when there are loads, without running the risk of them being exposed to overvoltage ...and so on.

FWIW, Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • softdown
    Thanks...I should contact the manufacturer.
    Vic wrote: »

Hi soft ..,

Thanks for the Link to the Mfg's specs.

These batteries appear to be designed for Float Service, where they have Vfloat applied 24/7 from the Grid (at least customarily). Often, these batteries do not do too well in off-grid systems where they are cycled often/daily. BUT, you own them, so any way that they can contribute some power when the sun has set or it is stormy may be fine.

The resistance of small cables connecting these Gels to the ED8s could help limit the charging current, but, the other real limitation of Gel batteries is that they usually will simply not tolerate charge voltages above their narrow and fairly low specified values. This relatively low voltage spec is irrespective of current flowing into them, as charge current. So when the Gels are fully charged, there is almost no current flowing into them, so the higher customary voltage of the other batteries in the bank will not be dropped very much at all due to the low current. This high voltage at low current can still damage the Gels.

Again, these rules of thumb are often quoted, in the absence of absolute real specs from the battery manufacturer. You might try contacting the manufacturer, asking if there are specs on the maximum charge current, and any other details that might help you use them in an off-grid system.

It might be possible to try to charge them from a main bank of the ED8s, but it seems that it could be a bit complicated to try to get them to contribute when there are loads, without running the risk of them being exposed to overvoltage ...and so on.

FWIW, Good Luck, Vic
  • Vic
    From their documents page: http://www.alpha.com:8081/Media/Documents/AlphaCellGXL%2010_C003.pdf

And, softdown, I should have mentioned that this Ripple Voltage spec is just for Ripple VOLTAGE. Ripple voltage is usually the result of poor or no Filtering of the charger voltage. Batteries can do a lot of filtering for a charger, but, still, most Gel batteries are very sensitive to over-voltage. So, it appears that the batt manufacturer is just trying to be specific about exactly what is this limit.

Of course, this ripple V spec is not the same as the Maximum Charge Current spec.

Just trying to make sure that you know this. Hope that you can get some more data on the Gels that you have. Good Luck, Vic
  • softdown
    Interesting....called Alpha and was transferred to Outback. Outback is a subsidiary of Alpha. Guy (Anthony) tried his best but didn't seem to be the ultimate expert. He said that I could set the charge controller to a 21 amp max for my 109 Ah batteries....in a 48 volt bank.

Outback is selling 180 Ah AGMs for solar usage by the way.

It is unfortunate that AT&T dropped the call the instant that he started dropping computations on me. He kindly left a message with the details.

So....excellent effort but not a bona-fide expert in my humble estimation.
  • Vic
    Hi softdown,

Yea, all of the OB batteries that I've seen are AGM, not Gels, so hope that "Anthony" is up to speed on Gels -- the stated Max CC output current is about 20% of C.

I have nothing to offer. Good Luck! Vic
  • softdown
    Thats a legitimate question. The entirety of the 20 minutes conversation was about the fact that these batteries are gels. He put me on hold for awhile and consulted, I think, with someone else.

Since Outback is a subsidiary of Alpha....someone should know exactly what these batteries can handle. He did quote the C-20 stuff right shortly the call was cut off...bad connection.

Since the 109 Ah battery size is important, I am wondering if using all six batteries, in the gel bank, would be a good idea. Four in series with two in parrallel......48 volt bank.

Or....perhaps a better idea is to have three battery strings instead of two.
    Vic wrote: »
    Hi softdown,

Yea, all of the OB batteries that I've seen are AGM, not Gels, so hope that "Anthony" is up to speed on Gels -- the stated Max CC output current is about 20% of C.

I have nothing to offer. Good Luck! Vic
  • Vic
    ... Since the 109 Ah battery size is important, I am wondering if using all six batteries, in the gel bank, would be a good idea. Four in series with two in parrallel......48 volt bank.

Or....perhaps a better idea is to have three battery strings instead of two.

This will not work at all well -- you, of course, cannot parallel two of these batteries by connecting the two extra ones is series, and then trying to parallel this 24 v string across the 48 V ends of the other string.

AND, if you tried to have one 48 V string of four batteries, with two of the batteries in that string paralleled with the extra two, none of the batteries that are in parallel would charge correctly or well, because the parallel batteries would really want about twice the current that is flowing in the other two (unparalleled) batteries. And because the impedance of the two battery sets that are paralleled, the other two batts in the 48 V string might well be subjected to too much voltage due to their higher impedance (and therefore more voltage placed across their terminals). This would certainly damage all of your batteries, especially over a period of time.

Series strings do best when batteries are fairly closely matched, and Gel batteries DO NOT tolerate voltages that are even a little bit too high.

Thanks for the info on the OB Tech person probably addressing the needs of your Gel batteries.

When you do try your string of FOUR 12 V Gels in series, be certain to correctly set the Temperature Cmpensation value in the FM CC (and perhaps in the Inverter/chargers as well, if that is available).

BE CERTAIN TO USE THE Battery Temperature Sensor, to protect the Gels from a too-high charge voltage.

FWIW, More Later. Have Fun with the new system. Good Luck, Vic

• softdown
    Yes.....BB recommended maxing the voltage out at 14.2.

If I bought two more of these batteries, I could do an additional string. There are sound arguments for that.
  • Vic
    Yes.....BB recommended maxing the voltage out at 14.2.

If I bought two more of these batteries, I could do an additional string. There are sound arguments for that.

Hi softdown,

OK, so, are you considering running one string of ED8s, and one or TWO strings of the Gels (including two MORE that you might buy)??

Just MHO, before you buy any more smallish batteries, wonder if it might be a good idea to stand back a bit and think about just what your off-grid system needs to do. The customary question would what loads will this system need to supply, what time of day are these loads, what is the largest load, what is the approximate total KWH that the system needs to supply from batteries ... things like that.

This will help you know approximately where you really want/need to go with the details of the system. You have a good inverter, and a reasonable amount of PV (this might be a bit small, but almost everything depends on your loads, and when they occur).

Your batteries are small. They appear to be of two types -- Flooded and Gel. These two differing types of batteries are the least compatible of Lead Acid batteries, if one was trying to connect them in parallel strings.

The Max charge current might well be higher than the Gel's customary 5% of C Max. This will help a bit, but still, Gels are very sensitive to too much Absorb voltage, and Flooded batteries might need EQing on occasion, and even the Temp Compensation value between the FLAs and the Gels may well be different. This is probably not a happy battery bank.

Seems that before you invest any more money in adding a couple more Gels (perhaps at a retail-ish price), that you might consider just what you might well need in terms of your battery bank.

Just my opinions, FWIW, Vic

• softdown
    Look at it this way. I knew my first battery collection would have a short life so I decided to spend $1200 instead of $5000.....until I learned the ropes. Have plenty of panels for one person.

Spending another $400 to give these batteries a better chance makes more sense than spending $5000 and scrapping these unsused batteries.

Man....why do people love to throw water on people that are newer at this so much?

A friend of mine put his trust in "the pros". Paid $12,000 for a 1/2 Kw system. My dad spent a similar amount for a solar heating system that never did work. I am leery of those making a living selling their products and "expertise".
  • softdown
    Interesting....here are gels that seem to be made with off grid solar applications in mind. From this page:

Photovoltaic Charging Parameters

Bulk Charge
    Max Current (amps)
    30% of 20 Hr Rate

http://www.solarelectricsupply.com/s...olar-batteries

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    I am leery of those making a living selling their products and "expertise".

So you should be. The key point is underlined, they have a vested interest.
    That does not apply to most on this forum.... we just tell it like we see it...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • softdown
    Yep...amazing board really.
    westbranch wrote: »

So you should be. The key point is underlined, they have a vested interest.
    That does not apply to most on this forum.... we just tell it like we see it...
  • BB.
    By the way, I am just recommending starting a starting point for the 14.2 volt absorb GEL.

Do your own research, starting with the mfg. documentation.

-Bill
  • softdown
    Thanks BB. What do think of getting two more gels so I would have three battery strings to absorb the energy? Much cheaper than replacing the whole bank within a short time?
    BB. wrote: »
    By the way, I am just recommending starting a starting point for the 14.2 volt absorb GEL.

Do your own research, starting with the mfg. documentation.

-Bill
  • BB.
    I really have no idea...

If those GELs can take 30% rate of charge--That is certainly not bad.

-Bill
  • softdown
    Those are Deca Solar Batteries.

It isn't too big of a leap to speculate that Alpha gel batteries, Outback is a subsidiary, would be somewhat useful in solar applications. One might think that some of the installations would rely on solar power since some of them are surely quite remote. Sheer speculation of course.