Reversed polarity - Have I wrecked the panel?

Hi guys. We live in (sometimes sunny) Portugal & use solar for all power when possible.
We have two set ups. One for the house & one for a truck parked high on the land which is for mobile internet as it's all we can get that works!
This latter system is one 60 watt Solar Nova (German) panel & a basic Phocos controller. The other day after using the truck this idiot connected the the battery clips back to front!
Now the panel has no output, measured direct, ignoring the controller.
Investigation showed two overheated & broken links in the panels connection box. After renewal there is still nothing at the panel.
Now I thought panels were robust devices & it was controllers that got wasted by foolish behaviour? -- Have I destroyed a rather expensive panel? - I can't go any further without taking it apart & as it's got glass each side (it's very well made) that wont be easy.

Muito Obrigado.

Loathecliff

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Reversed polarity - Have I wrecked the panel?

I think maybe only a diode in the panel may be gone. The actual PV part of the panel, is high resistance, and won't conduct much power, but there are often several diodes in some panels. Sometimes they are hidden in the junction box, sometimes between elements in the panel (which is several panels in series) . Maybe a call to the mfg is in order, to find locations and repair methods for the diodes
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

as mike had suggested, look for a blown diode, but there may also be a fuse there too. it is still possible the pv is blown as this was reported to us once long ago about reversing the leads and completing a short circuit between a pv and batteries. fuses will blow in this circumstance as can some diodes, but in the absence of a fuse, high damaging currents can occur even before a diode would blow if it is even there. diodes can be easily checked with an ohm meter with high resistance one way and low when the leads are reversed. high both ways or low both ways indicate part failure. usually it will be high both ways (infinite ohms) as in open circuit.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thxs guys, that's encouraging...... if only I could get at the area i can't see under the connection box.

This an early SolarNova panel which is double glass & a bonded conn. box. - trying to break the bond without breaking the glass is going to be fun.

In the great tradition of German makers of things solar they have (so far) ignored my email for advice...............just like Stecca & Phocos did in the past.