how bad does this look for a battery box?

Picked it up at target for like $15

having a problem with pic hosting perhaps you can browse here: http://www.filehigh.com/viewgallery.php?f=26494

Those black cables hanging overhead are un-secured CATV lines (that I don't even use)

5 batteries along the bottom, with 1/4" spacers between, and then one perpendicular along the top. 40 amp breakers between each battery.

Anderson connector w/#4, #2/0 wire everywhere else, and burndy terminals

20965_257653_tl.gif

and the other box:
It's temporarily housing the inverter (APC Back-UPS 1400RM2U) and the charge controller (xantrex C40), not shown PV combiner box. I'm waiting on a sweet disconnect box auction on ebay (ooh stainless) and I'm shopping a housing for this inverter which is proving to possibly be kinda permanent unfortunately.

20965_257657_tl.gif

*awaits flames*

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: how bad does this look for a battery box?

ive considered those deck boxes you see on sale at the dept stores in summer. my concern with them. maybe a dumb question but how does the acid react with the container (say if it did spill)? i am not too familiar on what materials are resistant to corrosion from flooded batteries
  • System2

I assume ~18molar sulfuric acid will have it's way with it like it would with most anything else outside of pyrex or similar glass. throw a little baking soda in there I guess if you want to feel like at least you tried :p
  • System2

huh. a new definition for snap crackle and pop. add baking soda for more crackle. a seasonal stew. ok il stop now.. ;) :roll:
  • kc8adu
    kc8adu Solar Expert Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

the box will withstand the acid just fine.
    being agm batts they wont leak unless broken or severely overcharged.those circutbreakers will likely die of the corrosion due to vented gasses.yes even gel/agm vent.
    put those breakers outside the box.it would suck to have a catastropic event where the spark from the tripped breaker ignites the battery gasses and it goes boom!
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

The double-decking and the sort-of snap-on lid look problematic to me. How about a nice, big, sturdy, lockable box like this from Lowe's (and sometimes Home Depot):

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=91573-000000230-3725&lpage=none

There may be enough extra room inside for some insulation.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2

thats a great idea.. probably be easy to drill vent holes.. i have to get something like this myself. $50 not bad
  • System2
    crewzer wrote:
    The double-decking and the sort-of snap-on lid look problematic to me. How about a nice, big, sturdy, lockable box like this from Lowe's (and sometimes Home Depot):

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=91573-000000230-3725&lpage=none

There may be enough extra room inside for some insulation.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer

I wonder if they have a bigger one? I wanted to avoid 3 parallel strings and still have 12 batteries. This would be an option for (3) strings of 4 though. I wonder if they'd let me stack 'em :D (kidding!, ok not really)

When I was sizing these in the past, that 37" length is usually an exterior dimension. I wouldn't be surprised if the inside floor length was closer to 30", which would make 4 batteries a snug-fit.
    My DCS-100L's are 7" wide in the layout I use, and the exterior dimension of my 'target sourced' box is about 5', and 5 batteries side-by-side is pretty tight, I only have 1/4" between them.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

I'm afraid that I don't remember the actual interior dimensions... However, a quick dash with a tape measure over to your local Lowe's would solve that problem. These bins are normally stocked in their "automotive" section.

Other options include the "Packer" series chests from Delta. I have one for my four 4D batteries, and I think they're polyethylene (sp?). Not cheap, though... :(

See: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=delta+packer&btnG=Google+Search

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭

an idea I thought might work on a budget would be a 2x4 & plywood box with lid.
    Walls could be insulated. Interior plywood surface could be covered with FRP panels from home depot. Joints sealed with 100% silicone caulk (I have repaired cracked battery cases with silicone) The FRP panels are very durable and resists anything i have subjected them to.
    (FRP = fiberglass reinforced plastic)