Changing Battery Specific Gravity

I have a set of commercial lead/calcium batteries with a specific gravity of 1.210 from the factory that are over 15 years old and still doing great. I also have a set of 220ah golf cart batteries and I would like to know if it would be worth the trouble to reduce their specific gravity down to 1.210? I'm sure it would mean a reduction in AH capacity but wouldn't it increase their life? If so, would the increase in life be proportional to the reduction sp gr?

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Changing Battery Specific Gravity

only go with the particular manufacturer's recommendation's for their particular battery. do not cross from one to another as they may not have been engineered quite the same. it is possible that you may prevent the battery from being fully charged if having too low of a sp gr. many manufacturers also add a bit of extra acid to account for some escaping into the air. these all assume you charged your battery fully as lower readings will also occur when a battery isn't fully charged at a given temperature.
  • jacobs
    jacobs Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭

The tags on the batteries states......Nom Capacity 350 AMP HRS, 1.200 - 1.220 SP GR AT 25 deg. C (77 deg. F)

They are fully charged.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

remember my saying this, "many manufacturers also add a bit of extra acid to account for some escaping into the air"? it may be a range, but that range may also represent new to old as well. you will NOT gain anything by watering down the electrolyte. if you want to do this, that is your choice.