Solar South

banjorene
banjorene Solar Expert Posts: 36
Ok I'm new at this stuff but here is a lesson well learned.
I placed my panels south about 5 months ago. This month I reset the angle for winter ,I wanted to get a jump on it before snow gets here.
TODAY I looked up on the internet what the time woud be for highest sun and I went back on the roof with a stick and a level.
Holding the stick straight up and plumb the shadow cast by the stick gave me solar south.
I reset my panels (just unbolted 3 legs from the roof and pivoted the panel about a foot toward solar south.WOW WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT IN OUTPUT.
So for those of you who are new when you read how to set up panels pay close attention, there is a big diff. between south and solar south.
solar south ( Now if I could get rid of a few trees )
Rene

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Solar South

Yours is somewhere around 14 degrees west... You can compare different array configurations with the solar estimator link here (and fixed vs tracking--note; the smallest supported solar array size is 1 kW).

Changing your array position between true south and +/- 15 degrees changes your total yearly output by ~1%...

Tilting your array up by 15 degrees also changes the monthly output by 1% or so at this time of year...

If you were off by 15 degrees, Cos 15 = 0.965 -- or only a 3.5% change in output at peak of day (unless tracking array--you will only be at peak for an hour or so per day, hence the lower difference in power collected over the entire day)...

If you are seeing "large" improvements--there might be some other issues (colder weather, cleaned panels, poor electrical connection somewhere, etc. or your changes are more than +/- 15 degrees).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • banjorene
    banjorene Solar Expert Posts: 36
    Re: Solar South

I don't know exactly what the degrees change is but I did see a huge improvment.
    I watch my amp hour meter to see over the next few days just how much things have changed. I'm also set for winter 64 degrees so I'm a little early with that setting but its
    set now so I don't have to get up there till spring.
    And at that time I just may set things for summer and then again reset to winter mode in the fall.My readings between high noon and 3:30 pm also improved for the short few hours .I have issues with trees which I hope to correct in time. I was just happy to see and increase in panel power even if I could do better elsewhere. Almost time for a site,evaluation before putting up more panels just to be sure
    Rene