Huge demand since "bailout" talk started

Options
Macaw
Macaw Solar Expert Posts: 36
After studying for years I finally decided to purchase a 2kW PV system last week. But at the same time the US economy faltered and the "Cash-for-Trash" bailout program came to the top of the news. When I call to buy a set of 200W+ collectors from retail outlets like AltEstore or SolarElectricSupply then I find that they have been flooded with orders in the last ten days to the point where they will not answer phone calls or are reluctant to process new orders. It seems like smaller (lower power) panels are more readily available. The sales staffs seemed burned out. One company advised me to try calling back second quarter of 2009. Has anyone else noticed a sudden surge in demand for residential PV systems?

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Huge demand since "bailout" talk started

have you tried our sponsor?
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    Macaw wrote: »
    After studying for years I finally decided to purchase a 2kW PV system last week. But at the same time the US economy faltered and the "Cash-for-Trash" bailout program came to the top of the news. When I call to buy a set of 200W+ collectors from retail outlets like AltEstore or SolarElectricSupply then I find that they have been flooded with orders in the last ten days to the point where they will not answer phone calls or are reluctant to process new orders. It seems like smaller (lower power) panels are more readily available. The sales staffs seemed burned out. One company advised me to try calling back second quarter of 2009. Has anyone else noticed a sudden surge in demand for residential PV systems?

It's not just since the bailout talks. PV has been difficult to get all year. Suppliers and installers are all tapped out. Check out the :How yo get more people into PV" thread.
  • Macaw
    Options

Yes, As I stand back and take a breath, looking at other suppliers, I see that there are many vendors out there, it just takes a while to find one that has the larger panels in stock. Thank you
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

We have hundreds of many of the 170 and higher panels in stock.
  • System2
    Options
    Macaw wrote: »

I wish people stocked up on alternative energy when the economy went spiraling downward, but with falling fuel prices I think it might put a little damper on the alternative energy markets.

I don't know if people will agree with me, but I hope fossil fuel costs skyrocket again so people more readily switch over to cleaner energy sources.

This did pique my interest though, is anyone seeing increased business since the bailouts? I can't see the rationale behind why it would.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Actually, modern fossil fuels are relatively clean--read about the problems from 100-200 years ago in "large" American Cities:

The Horse & the Urban Environment
    While the nineteenth century American city faced many forms of environmental pollution, none was as all encompassing as that produced by the horse. The most severe problem was that caused by horses defecating and urinating in the streets, but dead animals and noise pollution also produced serious annoyances and even health problems. The normal city horse produced between fifteen and thirty-five pounds of manure a day and about a quart of urine, usually distributed along the course of its route or deposited in the stable. While cities made sporadic attempts to keep the streets clean, the manure was everywhere, along the roadway, heaped in piles or next to stables, or ground up by the traffic and blown about by the wind. In 1818, in an attempt to control the manure nuisance, the New York City Council required that those who gathered and hauled manure, so-called "dirt carting," to be licensed, also restricting aliens to this type of carting activity. Thousands of loads of manure were gathered on special "manure-yards" to undergo a process of "rotting," and "gangs" of men were employed to overturn the manure and to expose it to weathering. In 1866, the Citizen's Association Report on the Sanitary Condition of the City observed that, "The stench arising from these accumulations of filth is intolerable."

Nineteenth century urbanites considered the stench or miasmas produced by the manure piles a serious health hazard, but cleaning was sporadic at best. Manure piles also produced huge numbers of flies, in reality a much more serious vector for infectious diseases such as typhoid fever than odors. By the turn of the century public health officials had largely accepted the bacterial theory of disease and had identified the "queen of the dung-heap" or fly, as a major source. Inventors and city officials devised improved methods of street cleaning and street sweeping became a major urban expense.

Although not as serious a problem as the manure, the noise created by horses' iron shoes and the iron-tired wheels of cars and wagons on cobblestone streets was a constant annoyance. Benjamin Franklin complained in the late-eighteenth century of the "thundering of coaches, chariots, chaises, wagons, drays and the whole fraternity of noise" which assailed the ears of Philadelphians. Boston and New York both passed ordinances banning traffic from certain streets to protect hospitals and legislative chambers from the noise. As late as the 1890s, a Scientific American writer noted that the sounds of traffic on busy New York streets made conversation nearly impossible, while the author William Dean Howells complained that "the sharp clatter of the horses' iron shoes" on the pavement tormented his ear.
    In 1880, New York City removed 15,000 dead horses from its streets, and late as 1916 Chicago carted away 9,202 horse carcasses. Special trucks were devised to remove dead horses; since the average weight of dead horses was 1,300 pounds, one text on municipal refuse advised that "trucks for the removal of dead horses should be hung low, to avoid an excessive lift."

Notice, that the population of New York City was around 120,000 people in 1820 and upwards of 1.5 million in 1890... After electrification and the end of the horse--the population already reached near 7 million people in 1930 (current population of New York is around 8,000,000 people)

It goes on--We have no idea of the pollution problems that modern fossil (and nuclear) fuels have cured and allowed modern, high density cities... A dramatic rise in conventional fuel costs will not be pretty.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    Options

When I purchased my equipment in July it was from a place that was having a 30th anniversary sale, and they were very very busy because of the 10% off on PV and Inverters. I guess I saw the writing on the wall for increases from my power company. I feel that it will get to the point where people will want / need PV's and related parts but cant get them due to the loss of buying power of the dollar. That of course is a different thread entirely.
  • Macaw
    Options

I thank you all for your input. I will strive to contribute valuable information to this forum. I'll move onto another thread now since I have already started acquiring major system components but am still interested in hearing about changes in demand associated with transitions in our economy. And a special thanks to Wind&Sun for hosting us all.
  • BB.
    Options

Regarding my earlier post of life 100-200 years ago... Here is a really need (and too short) video of 1904 London England--originally filmed as a travel ad for Australians.

Brightcove Hosted Video of 1904 London England

Telegraph (UK) article about this film.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Hoonose
    Hoonose Registered Users Posts: 16
    Options
    ggtd wrote: »
    IThis did pique my interest though, is anyone seeing increased business since the bailouts? I can't see the rationale behind why it would.

Here's your answer:
    Tacked onto the recent bailout are several earmarks.
    First is a 30% Federal tax credit without limit on home solar installations starting Jan. 1. I also get another roughly 1/3 off through my power company rebate! That's of course huge, and I will be installing a roughly $100K installation as a result, for about $30-35K otd.
    Second is the $7500 tax credit for the Chevy Volt, if and when it comes out.
  • BB.
    Options

Add to this thread a Film from 1906 San Francisco (~4 days before the earthquake) taken from a cable car going east on Market Street (main street). About 7 minutes long. Mix of Transit, Car, Horse, and Pedestrian locomotion.

Some background

Some more detailed history/films

-Bill
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hoonose wrote: »
    Here's your answer:
    Tacked onto the recent bailout are several earmarks.
    First is a 30% Federal tax credit without limit on home solar installations starting Jan. 1. I also get another roughly 1/3 off through my power company rebate! That's of course huge, and I will be installing a roughly $100K installation as a result, for about $30-35K otd.

Second is the $7500 tax credit for the Chevy Volt, if and when it comes out.

Yep did mine, $73K for a 10.5 KW system which included a $4300 service entrance upgrade so tax credit kept me from paying any Fed taxes this year and provide a nice carryover to next year. Utility rebated $3.00 a watt. Out of pocket looks like a ROI in about 4 years.

Waiting on the Volt now. Great replacement for the wife and again a nice tax credit, to keep from paying Uncle SAM his blood money.

Adding panels to top out the Soar system @ 12.5 Kw as well. Should help the Volt charging.