Outback Configuration Questions (moved thread)

Hello Folks

When I started to put thought in to the PV system for the big bus I decided to do it as a grid-tie with a battery back up that I would run off of and be able to plug in to my rented barn and feed the meter to keep the cost down. So, I decided on a Outback PS-1 set up with a GVFX3648 inverter and a MX-60 controller but, Outback doesn’t make the PS-1 any more so I started to buy my equipment one piece at a time. At this point I have GVFX3648 inverter and the MX-60. Do you think any of you folks would help me put together a list of the remaining pieces of equipment that I will need to complete my system? I decided that im not going to keep my “HUGE” Rolls batteries in the big bus. I’m going to buy 12/8 volt golf cart batteries for the bus and use the big Rolls batteries in my new little shop building. Those Rolls batteries are 318 Lb’s each so I figure they will be much better sitting firmly on the floor of the shop and the 12/75 Lb’s 8 volt one’s would be much better in the belly of the big blue beast. So if any of you guys could put together a parts list for me I would appreciate it.

Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Outback Products Education

** maybe a moderator can split this off to a new thread ? **

> going to buy 12/8 volt golf cart batteries

Qty 12
    8Volt batteries ? 96V ?

or
    qty 8
    12V batteries ? 96V ?

Series, parallel, both?
    Hopefully, a series/parallel for a 48V battery bank ? (to match your 48V inverter)

Required:
    Inverter
    Charge controller
    Battery Temperature Sensor
    Accurate Voltmeter
    Appropriate Fuses/Circuit breakers & Disconnect

Optional
    Battery Monitor (totalizer)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Outback Configuration Questions (moved thread)

Dennis and Mike,

Hope this works better for you both (thank you Mike for the notice).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Don't forget the Outback MATE, MATE2, or MATE2M & hub - it helps to keep the MX60 & FX3648 talking to each other and is the only way to programme the inverter if you need to make changes.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Dennis,

I'll follow up with you on both forums on Monday.

Regards,

Jim Goodnight
    "crewzer"
    Eastern Regional Sales Manager
    OutBack Power Systems
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks crewzer, I would like to order the rest of the equipment in the next few of weeks.

Mike, I will be wiring the 12/8 volt batteries for 48 volts.

Peace along the way
    Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Dennis,

OK. Looks like an interesting project. You might want to check out the “Sustainable Education” article in Home Power magazine (April/May, 2007; issue #118 ), which describes a bus conversion project.

I don’t believe that I can provide you with a complete detailed parts list for your project. You’ll need to discuss specifics with your supplier(s). Also, I’m not sure that I would use a utility-interactive inverter for this particular application. Let’s discuss that a bit:
    • OutBack’s “G” inverters don’t work well with generators. So, you might be limited to inverter-type generators from Honda or Yamaha. Our off-grid inverters work with just about any generator available.
    • The “G” inverters also don’t include the “neutral / ground” switching contained in our “Mobile” inverters. You’ll need to get some specific application assistance with that topic.
    • Depending on where you plan to install the inverter, a sealed inverter model might be a better choice than a vented unit.
    • Finally, unless the bus’ alternator is 48 V, you won’t be able to charge the inverter’s 48 V battery bank from the bus’ engine. A 24 V or 12 V inverter may have been a better choice.
    The idea of using the G system to backfeed the barn has merit. However, and alternate approach would be to use an off-grid / mobile inverter and move barn loads from the grid over to the bus system.

In short, here’s what you’ll need:
    • PV array (“60 V” nominal highly recommended; ~86 Vmp STC)
    • PV array mounting fixture for attaching to bus
    • PV combiner box and DC rated circuit breakers, including GF breaker (specs will depend on array)
    • UL-listed able rated for conditions of use (wet? Hi-temp?)
    • (MX60 charge controller)
    • DC rated output circuit breaker for charge controller (probably 60 A or 63 A)
    • Cable from charge controller to inverter breaker
    • (GVFX3648 Inverter)
    • BIG DC breaker for inverter (175 A)
    • Heavy UL-listed cable (2/0 min; 4/0 preferred) from inverter to breaker and breaker to batteries
    • Mounting cabinets and hardware for charge controller, inverter, breakers, etc.
    • Surge protector (now required by UL-1741 for G-type inverters)
    • AC cabling and conduit
    • AC load center and AC breakers
    • Connection system (including AC disconnect) from G-inverter “AC IN” to backfeed to barn
    • Grounding system
    I think you’ll need more help with this project than I can provide. :cry: But, I hope this discussion will give you an idea of how to proceed.

Best of luck,
    Jim / crewzer