New large PV system

Hi everyone...

I'm installing (or rather having it installed) a large Sunpower PV system on my house in Oceanside, Ca.

I'm documenting the system installation on a web site. If anyone wants to check it out, the site is at:

www.jjhamilton.com/solar.html

The system should start going in in the next few weeks. We're all done with the paperwork, and we're about to begin the electrical upgrades necessary for the new system.

Anyway....everyone have a good day!

JimmyD

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: New large PV system

Looked at your page. 2 suggestions

1) panel hight over roof. 6"-8" will be much better than the 3-4" planned. More air circulation will result in cooler panels, and more output.

2) odd groups of arrays, 3 rows of 6, and 3 rows of 4. As long as the installer wires them right.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Sounds like fun...Can't wait to see the pics....:D
  • System2
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Looked at your page. 2 suggestions

1) panel hight over roof. 6"-8" will be much better than the 3-4" planned. More air circulation will result in cooler panels, and more output.

2) odd groups of arrays, 3 rows of 6, and 3 rows of 4. As long as the installer wires them right.

I'll check into the panel mounting on the roof. I want to bridge the gap between adequate cooling and having them look good against the roof. We live 1 mile off the coast, so it doesn't get TOO hot here and there is almost always a breeze, so that's good!

The grouping is odd, but the designer wanted to keep things symetrical. We had to break the panels up into two groups because I didn't QUITE have enough roof space to do them all in one grouping. Too many skylights, vents, etc. The installers know what they're doing, and they mentioned that one of the strings will compose of panels from both groups....I'm not worried!!;)

I'm hoping we start the electrical upgrade possibly this coming week. Once something actually gets done, I'll update the page and add pics, etc.

JimmyD
  • System2
    Tim F. wrote: »
    Sounds like fun...Can't wait to see the pics....:D

Me neither!!!:p

The electrical upgrades should begin any day now. Once THAT starts, I'm hoping the entire project finishes quickly.

JimmyD