Diversion load for classic 150

Options
Andyk
Andyk Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi all,

I was asked the question regarding dump/diversion loads on a system at a cabin (4.4k) that isn't continually occupied.

Is it possible to allocate a high voltage window for powering a separate sub panel? The diversion load (aux 1, 2 ), from what I gathered is more for use on a resistive load like a heating element, could it be used in this way? The reason for the power feed was to turn on a few appliances (boat chargers) once the system was in good shape and was not at risk of causing a generator call or low battery cut off.

I suggested just getting some kind of a receptacle timer and keeping all on the one. Any thoughts or ideas are very welcome.

Comments

• Ethan Brush
    Ethan Brush Solar Expert Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Diversion load for classic 150
    Andyk wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was asked the question regarding dump/diversion loads on a system at a cabin (4.4k) that isn't continually occupied.

Is it possible to allocate a high voltage window for powering a separate sub panel? The diversion load (aux 1, 2 ), from what I gathered is more for use on a resistive load like a heating element, could it be used in this way? The reason for the power feed was to turn on a few appliances (boat chargers) once the system was in good shape and was not at risk of causing a generator call or low battery cut off.

I suggested just getting some kind of a receptacle timer and keeping all on the one. Any thoughts or ideas are very welcome.

Sure the aux contacts could drive a relay that could do that. Note that those aux contacts are for controlling a relay only, they dont send diverted power to a load.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If this is for solar PV power, you don't need any diversion load.

If this is for wind power, Midnight makes the Clipper for turbines and it has a load in it.

You need a ultra reliable load for wind, since it is what keeps the turbine from over-speeding and grenading itself.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think he should be calling it an OPPORTUNITY load...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

I agree... A diversion load is typically necessary for SAFE operation of your system (i.e., a wind turbine and the diversion load). If the diversion load/controller fails, the batteries over charge/boil dry/catch fire/explode (worst case).

The NEC (US National Electric Code) would require (as I understand) two diversion loads and matching controllers--If one fails, a second is there for backup (or a diversion load and furling controller, etc.--Primary and backups are different devices/systems).

An opportunity load is one that can be turned on when the battery is full and the sun/wind is producing more power than needed. If the opportunity load fails, nothing happens.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options

Bill
    I don't know and am not trying to stir the pot but just bringing it up as a point of interest. The otherpower forum had a thread (That I probly can't find) that was putting forth the position that meeting the nec two speed contorl requirement, Might be accomlished with furling being one control and divertion load being the other.
    I don't pretend to know if this is right or wrong.
    gww
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

That would meet the intent of the NEC--As I understand.

One controller can be a "fine grain" style (i.e., variable output based on conditions) and the second can be a "bang/bang" style (i.e., producing full power, then furl/feather turbine for full off).

They do not have to be "clones" of each other.

Decades ago (early government subsides for wind) at our local private plane airport... They put up a pair of wind turbines for running the (then brand new) high efficiency runway lighting system. The second/backup device was a shear pin in the blade up that feathered the blades in high winds/high RPM (or something like that).

System worked OK for a few weeks, then broke the shear pin. Crane and service guys replaced pins. All was fine. Month or so later--High winds sheared pins, truck+crew.... After a few more of these events, turbines were taken down and the towers rented to (the then newish) cell phone companies for their antenna. (Almost) Everyone was now happy.

No more expensive pin replacements at the top of the tower costing the installer. Tower Rental was worth much more than electricity. Cell phone companies already had permited towers. Cell phone customers had better reception.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset