Need out door DC Disconnect

verdigo
verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭
Need an out door DC disconnect. Local inspector says my Midnite combiner won't cut it. Found this http://www.amazon.com/Square-Non-Fusible-600V-Disconnect-HU361RB/dp/B000LDEXM2#productDetails on Amazon but it says its only 30 amps. Also will my Classic 150's arc fault protection keep one or two of these from welding itself together?

Thanks
Dennis

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Need out door DC Disconnect

There is also a 60 amp version of the Square D swich you saw on amazon. If I remember correctly it is about the same price. solarvic
  • verdigo
    solarvic wrote: »
    There is also a 60 amp version of the Square D swich you saw on amazon. If I remember correctly it is about the same price. solarvic

Found it. HU362RB. Thanks. Another on of those unplanned expenses that really add up.
  • pechan
    pechan Solar Expert Posts: 92 ✭✭

You would have been much better off with the Midnite Disconnecting Combiner that Westbranch suggested...
    The Time and Materials to install that square D disconnect will really add up.
  • verdigo
    pechan wrote: »
    You would have been much better off with the Midnite Disconnecting Combiner that Westbranch suggested...
    The Time and Materials to install that square D disconnect will really add up.

I would rather have the midnite box, but as far as I can tell it is not UL listed and that, according to the electrician I am using is what the inspector wants.

The Midnite box would also be cheaper considering I already have the string breakers that go in it. This. http://www.solar-electric.com/bisoshoff.html is what the electrician described that the inspector wants, and by itself does not constitute a disconnect.

Right I am now trying to get an appointment with the inspector to get the story straight from him without any misunderstandings from the electrician.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    verdigo wrote: »
    I would rather have the midnite box, but as far as I can tell it is not UL listed and that, according to the electrician I am using is what the inspector wants.

They are ETL (us) listed which passes NEC code anywhere in the US, though they might have some legislation that requires 'UL' most of that is invalid from case law and likely legacy legislation.

Link to pdf
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • verdigo
    Photowhit wrote: »
    They are ETL (us) listed which passes NEC code anywhere in the US, though they might have some legislation that requires 'UL' most of that is invalid from case law and likely legacy legislation.

Link to pdf

I am aware of the ETL listing. I just need to educate the inspector in a way where he thinks it is his idea.
  • pechan
    pechan Solar Expert Posts: 92 ✭✭

Ask him this way :
    Does the disconnect need to have an outside handle that will disconnect all the solar strings with one motion?
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Hmm some one was just trying to tell me the other day on here that "the inspectors don't really look at, or care about the DC side".

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• verdigo

I was reading through this document http://solarprofessional.com/articles/design-installation/understanding-the-nec-2014-and-its-impact-on-pv-systems?v=disable_pagination and it states up to six breakers within one box is acceptable. I hope to catch up to him this week.