Hydrometer

Options
hemmjo
hemmjo Solar Expert Posts: 90 ✭✭
Looking for a good, easier to read hydrometer. The batteries in our installation are monitored most of the year by people whose skills are not in this area. They take readings and send them to me. Often when I get them I often question the accuracy and value of the report.

We are using a Brady Instruments #1-77-8 that we got from NAWS. http://www.solar-electric.com/batteries-meters-accessories/batteries/baacma/brin1bahy.html This hydrometer is not easy to ready, has no temp reading etc. I have a hard time reading the numbers on the float myself

I see that MidNite Solar now has a hydrometer. http://www.solar-electric.com/batteries-meters-accessories/batteries/baacma/midnite-solar-battery-hydrometer.html Reading the info it seems to be temperature compensated, etc, has a dial type scale, I am wondering if anyone has experience with it?

Thanks,

John
http://villagemountainmission.org/
Two systems in the Dominican Republic  http://villagemountainmission.org/
installed Feb 2014 at 19.796189° -70.893594°, Classic 150 + WBJR, KISAE SW1210, MN Battery Monitor, IOTA DLS 55/IQ4,  4- Solar World 275w, 4-6v x 225ah Trace Batteries
installed Feb 2015 at 19.795733° -70.893372°, same components  as above
Honda PowerMate PC0497000, 7000/8750w generator - powers the well and chargers maybe once a week

Comments

• Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Hydrometer

We have a Hydrovolt and I love it. It is easy to read. Saves time when having to read a couple dozen cells. The readings matched those of the float type. I did a comparison when I first bought it.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options

Mountain don
    Do you mesure cells in a row with out cleaning? How is it cleaned?
    Thanks
    gww
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Always rinse out the hydrometer with a couple of shots of distilled water after use--Otherwise they will get scummy and sticky inside.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • gww1
    Options

Bill
    thank you
    We have a Hydrovolt and I love it. It is easy to read. Saves time when having to read a couple dozen cells.

Mostly I was curious about when measuring multiple cells if it was needed to rinse every cell. I currently use an uncompensated extech optical which I wipe between cells. I had absolutly no luck using the squeeze bulb hydrometer that I got from naws. couldn't read it and half the time I made one heck of a mess on the battery with electrolite. I must get the jitters or something. If a guy could go through the cells with out rinsing everytime and had temp comp and could read the numbers, I would have to spend another $30-$45 bucks.
    Thanks
    gww
  • BB.
    Options

I do not use batteries--So no direct experience... But you do not need to rinse between cells (in my humble opinion).

The issues are usually when the electrolyte dries.

Be careful to pull electrolyte from below the surface... I have seen "floating debris" and you will pull in air (bubbles on float causes false readings). And be sure not to damage the top of the plates/separators either with the tube.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • gww1
    Options

Bill
    Thanks I think, More money to be spent but sound like it will be worth it.

Ok, I don't just think but actually mean,
    Thanks
    gww

Ps Bill it was a link you posted once for the extec optical and also for the sears clamp meter. I bought both and have really liked both.
  • BB.
    Options

You are very welcome GWW,

Somebody else here posted the link for the Sears meter first a few years ago--And that is when i purchased my first clamp meter (with my own money:blush:). Other than the temperature probe failing in a few weeks, the rest of the meter has been a joy to use.

-Bill
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Received a Hydrvolt for Christmas, from me.
    Just used it for the first time today. AMAZING compared to all conventional types I've used over the years!
    All guesswork regarding temperature etc is gone!
    LOVE it! So easy to read!
    One note though, my dealer mentioned I should consider some type of mini clamp or whatever on the little fill/drain tube. Seems he's encountered several where it has fallen out of the Hydrovolt and down into the battery. So far mine seems tight, but it's something I'm going to look at. Might try a bit of Marine GOOP (glue). We shall see.
  • gww1
    Options

Bill

I used the temp lead for a year, stuck about a foot down in the corner of my batt. to measure batt temp. It corroded and no longer works. I still use the dc clamp all the time. really is helpfull to compare readings and see it things are working.
    gww
  • BB.
    Options

Don't stick metal rods/temp probes down in the battery--The chances of shorting a plate is there. You don't want a face full of acid spray.

-Bill
  • gww1
    Options

Bill
    Fork truck, I ment the corner of the battery out side plastic inside steel battery case.
    Thanks though
    gww
  • BB.
    Options

Oh, OK GWW... Just want to keep everyone safe.

I do like IR Temperature guns... Clean and quick. And usually close enough for government work.

-Bill
  • ToManyTrees
    ToManyTrees Registered Users Posts: 24
    Options
    gww1 wrote: »

couldn't read it and half the time I made one heck of a mess on the battery with electrolite.

I have only used my Hydro Volt for five months, never seen it drip once, if keep your fingers off the bulb. Very easy to read.

Paul
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options
    (I have) never seen it drip once, if keep your fingers off the bulb. Very easy to read.

Paul
    That's my experience too. Found it extremely easy to use and nothing short of amazingly easy to read! And unlike anything I've ever used before - - not one single drip!
    Could there be something wrong with the one "gww1" has? Perhaps the suction tube loose? And not completely filling it before trying to read?
  • gww1
    Options

When I talked about being messy, I was talking about the bradly hydometer I bought from naws not the hydrovolt which I don't own yet. As I pointed out, I might just be shaky. I used to try and fill then empty 3 times before mesuring and evey once in a while I would pull it out of the hole while sqeezing the bulb. Probly me and not equipt although with the optical I have less problim but do remove a small bit of electrolite every time I measure. I did not like the bradly and also could not read it but to just get close. I do like the extec optical which states that the electrolite is small enough to cool to the room temp quickly, however if that was the case my sg would not go down as the battery heats up which it does sometimes during eq. The optical is very easy to read. I think the hydrovolt would be good expesially if you can get away without rinsing between each cell. I haven't spent the money yet, but would like to have something I could read to compare with what I have. I find the bradly worthless.

gww
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options

I rinse it thoroughly after I am finished with all the readings for the session. I used a small wipe of sealant on the tube fitting for just in case.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • waynefromnscanada
    Options
    gww1 wrote: »
    When I talked about being messy, I was talking about the bradly hydometer I think the hydrovolt would be good expecially if you can get away without rinsing between each cell. I haven't spent the money yet, but would like to have something I could read to compare with what I have. I find the bradly worthless.

gww
    Ah! Now I get the picture, the picture of a Bradly! Haha
    I'm sure you'll find a huge difference between it and the Hydrovolt. As to rinsing between cells, unless one cell is really dead compared to the rest, the wee little bit left from the previous cell tested would be for all intents and purposes, totally overwhelmed by the relative huge volume drawn in from the next cell to be tested.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

After many of us asking Wind-Sun to carry the HydroVolt, a few months ago it appeared on their store site:

http://www.solar-electric.com/batteries-meters-accessories/batteries/baacma/midnite-solar-battery-hydrometer.html

The sample tube on the HydroVolt was, and perhaps still is TOO SHORT for batteries with a considerable amount of electrolyte reserve (above the plates).

Generally the HydroVolt is very easy to read. Sometimes the scales hang-up and need a bit of a rap to begin moving.

Normally still use the Freas glass Hydro, and on occasion will use the HV. The only real concern, for me, regarding the HV, is that it has a large wetted-area inside. This retains a reasonable amount of electrolyte, and over a very long time period, may export a bit of electrolyte from the first cell measured ... yea, know that this is probably a 'fly speck' in the scheme of things. Usually begin a measuring session on one of the chronically high SG cells.

Personally, rinse any hydro three times after a measuring session, with Distilled Water, and try to let the Hydro hang vertically, allowing some of the water to drip out.

Thanks wind-sun for stocking the HydroVolt. Opinions for those who can tolerate them. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.