Temperature compensation and Trimetric meter

kansas
kansas Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
I was reading an old post on battery charging that included a remark that a Trimetric meter (I have a 2025) can be programmed to take into account the effect of temperature on battery capacity. My batteries are located beneath my cabin in an unheated area where the temperature is a fairly constant 50 degrees. I use the Trimetric only at level one, and program only the three values P1, P2 and P3. Anything I should do to tweak the inputs? Thanks
Two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; Ironridge top of pole mount; two 6 volt, 242 AH US batteries, wired in series; Morningstar ProStar 30 charge controller and SureSine 300 inverter; Trimetric 2025-A meter; IOTA DLS-45 charger, Honda EG3500X generator; Aermotor 702 water pumping windmill.

Comments

• kansas
    Re: Temperature compensation and Trimetric meter

I understand that battery capacity decreases approximately .5% for every 1 degree below 77 degrees. At 50 degrees, battery capacity would be reduced by 13.5%. At 50 degrees, the capacity of my 242 AH battery bank would be reduced by about 33AH, to 209AH. Changing the battery capacity value (P3) for the Trimetric from 242 AH to 209AH will give a more realistic "Battery % full" reading.

Does this sound correct?
    Two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; Ironridge top of pole mount; two 6 volt, 242 AH US batteries, wired in series; Morningstar ProStar 30 charge controller and SureSine 300 inverter; Trimetric 2025-A meter; IOTA DLS-45 charger, Honda EG3500X generator; Aermotor 702 water pumping windmill.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    kansas wrote: »
    At 50 degrees, the capacity of my 242 AH battery bank would be reduced by about 33AH, to 209AH. Changing the battery capacity value (P3) for the Trimetric from 242 AH to 209AH will give a more realistic "Battery % full" reading.

Does this sound correct?

I haven't checked your math, but it sounds correct. I adjust my Trimetric seasonally to account for lower battery capacity in the winter. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • kansas

Thanks vtmaps. Happy holidays!