Solar Electric Hot Water

I'm thinking of getting a solar panel, hooking it up to a 12 volt hot water heater and setting this before my existing hot water heater. I figure, when the sun shines, I'll get warm water, reducing the work my existing heater has to do. No batteries or inverter, no maintenance.

Will it work?

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Electric Hot Water

Will it work? Yes. Will it work well? Probably not.

A PV module rated at 100 W STC will deliver perhaps 425 Wh from the equivalent of 5 hours of “full” Sun. 425 Wh x 3.414 = ~1,451 Btu, which is enough energy to raise the water in a 40 gallon (~333 lbs.) tank by ~4 degrees F.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

For the same money put to direct solar heating of water, your results would be awesome!
    My hot water tonight is scalding hot! And there is NO electricity involved.
    The most efficient way to solar heat hot water is directly, or you can go with solar electric, the most ineficient.
    Wayne
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks for the quick, helpful responses. Nice forum.
  • Frank
    Frank Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

I agree that this is indirect and not efficient. The cheapest type of heater is "batch" - do a search as there's several designs available you can build using used or cheap material. Ask back here if you have trouble finding something that catches your eye.

Batch is best if you don't live in a freezing climate.
  • Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have extra PV in the summer, I have a 20 gallon tank ahead of my propane heater. I pump in one KW into the 20 gallon tank and it raises the temperature 10 degrees per hour. 60 degrees out of the well and then 4 hours inthe tank makes 100 degree preheated water. You need lotsa power to heat water.

HTH - Joe
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Why are your dragging up 5 year old posts?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Why are your dragging up 5 year old posts?

Spammer; he's been dealt with.