my first off grid system

kennedy759
kennedy759 Registered Users Posts: 10
Just getting into solar power, always wanted to try it, anyway decided to get power to the wifes chicken coop, first choice was to bury wire from the garage to the coop, about 200 ft across my lateral lines(very rocky ground) or solar power, so bought the 45 watt harbor freight kit, and its just what I needed, so far I have lights and a power door opener on a timer. With the inverter I was able to power a jig saw. Future plans will be to power a 7.5 aquarium heater to keep the chicken water thawed.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

Comments

• KenZ71
    KenZ71 Solar Expert Posts: 58 ✭✭
    Re: my first off grid system

Cool, but why do the chickens need lights?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    KenZ71 wrote: »
    Cool, but why do the chickens need lights?

Curiously, they lay better if they have "consistent daylight hours" so many farms have timed lighting to offset short/dark days.

Yes, I did. :D
  • kennedy759
    kennedy759 Registered Users Posts: 10

actually the lights are for our use, we don`t believe in forcing them to lay eggs during shorter days, they need to rest to stay healthy, but some farmers do control the lights for better egg production. next system I want to build is to power my garage,
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭

Well each system will get better and better. Hang around here a bit, youll pick up some pro tips. Theres lots to learn.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar