Shaded cells

Options
Hi, I'm sure this has come up many times before on this forum, but so far I haven't found exactly what I've been looking for in the searches.

I've got some shading issues that are nearly impossible to solve without rebuilding my house!
This is also the first spring/summer my system is going into. Production is really beginning to soar now, but so is the sun's altitude which is causing an overhang to cast a shadow over the panels for an hour or so at around 10:00am. I've put my hand on the shaded cell and can feel how hot it can get - too hot to hold your hand on it for more than a few seconds! I believe there is one bi-pass diode for a string of 24 cells (3 diodes in the junction box for a 72cell, 12*6 configuration panel). I'm not sure if this provides adequate protection. Should I be worried? The heat of summer is looming and the irradiance if going to keep intensifying until December/January. Should I be worried?

Comments

• ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Shaded cells
    CALLD wrote: »
    Hi, I'm sure this has come up many times before on this forum, but so far I haven't found exactly what I've been looking for in the searches.

I've got some shading issues that are nearly impossible to solve without rebuilding my house!
    This is also the first spring/summer my system is going into. Production is really beginning to soar now, but so is the sun's altitude which is causing an overhang to cast a shadow over the panels for an hour or so at around 10:00am. I've put my hand on the shaded cell and can feel how hot it can get - too hot to hold your hand on it for more than a few seconds! I believe there is one bi-pass diode for a string of 24 cells (3 diodes in the junction box for a 72cell, 12*6 configuration panel). I'm not sure if this provides adequate protection. Should I be worried? The heat of summer is looming and the irradiance if going to keep intensifying until December/January. Should I be worried?
    Worried about what? The heat is not going to damage your solar modules. It will reduce the voltage they produce a bit.