Solar panel problem I think

Options
2»

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Solar panel problem I think

Can you fit a larger diode? Would not hurt anything--If you can.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rake1
    rake1 Solar Expert Posts: 173 ✭✭
    Options

I will try should I replace both Diodes? Also How do I know which way the current should flow through the diode I would hat to put it in wrong. I know which way it goes through the one on the left in the picture. I assume it flows the same way on the one on the right.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Probably the same as the diode to the other side...

Basically, the white band side of the cathode is the "-" or cathode side. If you connect it to a power source with - to - and + to +, the diode will conduct.

For a non-shaded solar panel, you want the opposite. The + of the panel connected to the - (white band) of the diode. The diode should not conduct (short) any array current/voltage in full sun and no shading. If the diode does conduct, flip it around and it should not conduct.

If you have a higher current rated diode--I would replace the other one if it is pretty easy. If difficult, I probably would not--You have to be careful applying heat to the panel lugs--Nothing there (solar cells, electrical connection, backing material, etc.) really likes very much heat.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rake1
    rake1 Solar Expert Posts: 173 ✭✭
    Options

All I could come up with was the same so I will jut replace with the 6 amp.
    Thanks