Solar Powered Security trailer: Keep...Scrap...Sell to Who?

BilljustBill
BilljustBill Solar Expert Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

I'm trying to get ready for our own large garage sale. I don't have an idea what this trailer alone, nor the whole system is worth. So, I took some time to research the maker: "OMJC Signal". In talking to a Texas company that sells this brand, he did some homework. He said a single camera, solar/battery system and trailer sell new for "$45,000". He then said his contact said a price increase had happened and the same type of system with "4 cameras that can read the number on the dials of oil field equipment sells for $54,000.

While I'm taken back by those numbers, I'm at a loss as to how to sell this garage sale find, nor the fair price to ask, It seems I have two options: 1. Sel Intact, but not sure if all of it works, or (2.) keep/salvage the two 135w Kyocera solar panels, three deep cycle batteries, and solar controllers and electronics, then sell the trailer with it's hydraulic raising 30' boom.

I don't need the trailer system as it is, but I don't want to wind up keeping it, nor selling it well below whatever its market value might be....

How would you handle this "Worrisome, but Wonderful Windfall Find"?
Bill

Comments

• AuricTech
    AuricTech Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭
    Re: Solar Powered Security trailer: Keep...Scrap...Sell to Who?

Auction it on eBay with a reserve price?
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course it's worth what someone will pay you.

If you got an idea of who would use this, it looks purpose built, I'd 'shop it' around asking people in the field if they or someone they know could use it.

I'd take out the AGM battery, before showing it to any one, though perhaps if the flooded batteries are regular 31's they should be removed. If no luck there, you might 'shop it' to solar businesses, might be a nice display piece for fairs, workshops and the like...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • KenZ71
    KenZ71 Solar Expert Posts: 58 ✭✭

A large road construction company most likely would buy it as is. They would be able to use for road work signage which looks like the original purpose.