which is the better deal?

nyarelathodep
nyarelathodep Solar Expert Posts: 99 ✭✭
So... After countless hours loafing around this site, eavesdropping on countless threads, asking and receiving so much greatly appreciated advice from the resident RE sages of the forum, and coming to the conclusion of what will work best for me system wise, I've come down to the zero hour of ordering my components and have reached the proverbial fork in the road.

Basically, I am looking at two options for a prewired setup... One is the FlexPower one, who's description reads:
"
FLEXpower ONE includes a single inverter, AC and DC wiring boxes, a single FLEXmax Charge Controller, MATE3, HUB, FLEXnet DC and Surge Protector while maintaining a small system footprint. The FLEXpower ONE System is also equipped with battery and PV array breakers, a PV GFDI breaker, an Input-Output-Bypass Assembly, mounting locations for both AC GFCI Type B and EU Type F style outlets, and additional AC breakers"

The cost, delivered, is about $3700. Seems like quite a good deal to me.

The second option is a local dealer here in maine, who can prewire the inverter and set everything up for plug and play as i aquire the rest of the components (ie; it does not include the charge controller). For $3300, it will look like this:

"1 outback vfx 3524 inverter*1 midnite solar hinged breaker box for a face mounted inverter and solar charge controller ( solar cont. not included in price) 1 dc ground fault breaker for solar. 1- 175 amp dc breaker for inverter. 2 dc breakers for solar. 1 generator breaker ac . 1 bypass ac breaker set for inverter. 1 ac lightning arrester. 1 trimetric meter. 2- 4/0 battery cables to batteries from inverter. 1 plywood board w/ 2×4 frame 2'×3'. 1-2" pvc conduit to battery box. Includes all materials. wiring of all componets."

So, I'm unsure of what I would need in addition to the first option to get it up and running, but having the CC, HUB, and mate3 are certainly attractive for only $300 more. What, aside from what is included in the FlexPower kit are necessary in terms of wiring and components (aside from panels)? Note that code is not an issue here. In either case, I will not have the panels for a few months and will be using a generator to recharge until i am able to aquire them, and the bank is pretty small at 24vn, 215ah (enough for my loads for now, another four likely in the near future of deemed necessary. Thanks for everyone's input so far, it's ever so appreciated :)

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: which is the better deal?

The $3300 does not include the $500 charge controller? Does not include the $200 MATE? Does not include the HUB? Does not include the $300 FNDC?

I know which I would pick, cheapskate that I am.
  • nyarelathodep

I know it seems obvious, but perhaps to clarify my particular position, both prices stretch me dangerously over my budget threshold currently... And I need this thing up and running very soon. I guess the question really is, is the flexpower panel ready to go right or of the box, or does it require additional costly expenses in components and wiring to hook up?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

The Flexpower set ups are as pre-wired as possible. Take a look at the pictures: http://www.solar-electric.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=flexpower And the description: "The Outback FLEXpower system comes fully assembled and tested from the Outback factory" and "The systems have been outfitted with all the necessary wiring, circuit breakers, communications, battery monitoring and PV ground fault protection."

In other words all that is lacking is PV IN, DC IN, AC IN, and AC OUT wires. On the whole they're a pretty good deal.

If you want to budget-cut you can drop the HUB and the panel boxes and rig up your own basic system, using a Classic & WhizBang Jr. as the monitor (don't forget the shunt) putting in individual breakers as needed. Price it out that way and see how it compares to having a pre-built package. You may find you don't save much at all.
  • nyarelathodep

Yea, that makes things pretty clear for me then :) you've been instrumental, Coot, to assisting my family in making some sound choices in putting together a system which will work for us and within our current means. Can't thank you enough sir!