Will this Motor work for a wind mill?

Options
M1chael
M1chael Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi everyone! I'm very new to this. I've done some research, but still need a lot of help. I plan to "try" to contribute as much as I get out of this wonderful forum:D
My question is ... will this motor work for a generator in a wind mill? (hopefully everyone can see this pic)
Attachment not found.

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Will this Motor work for a wind mill?

Hi Michael. Looking at your photo, I would say you have a single phase 1/4 HP induction motor. In general, such induction motors will consume power to run it, however, if it's connected to a 115 volt 60 Hz AC power supply and forced by some external mechanical power source to turn faster than it "wants" to turn, then it acts as an AC generator, pumping electric power back out on the power lines. If however the AC source is disconnected, it instantly stops producing power and freewheels. It won't generate power on it's own as it has no useful internal magnetic fields when not connected to an AC supply.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

+1
    Motors converted to generators for wind turbines are either permanent magnet motors or rebuilt automobile alternators, which give you a PMA (permanent magnet alternator) generator. Often used for small home-built systems. Direct drive washing machine motors (multiple pole design) are also getting some interest among home builders.
    Or then are motors which use an electrically driven field in place of the permanent magnets. Those are more likely to be found in large commercial systems because of the more complicated controls and the initial external power needed to supply the field to get the generator generating each time it starts up.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

In general, wind turbines turn slower than any standard servo motor or car alternator. They just turn too darn fast for direct drive by the turbine blades--And any sort of belt drive/transmission is more losses and complexity.

If you are interested in building your own wind turbine--Here are some good links:

Wind Power Links
    www.otherpower.com (good forum for DIY Wind Power)
    Hugh Piggott - Scoraig Wind Electric site for tons of info (from mike90045)
    Scoraig Wind "Recipe Book" for DYI Turbines
    www.greenpowertalk.org (added from "russ"--Like here but more wind/less solar)

Our forum here (so far) not as much into DIY wind as the other sites/forums above.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Motors should not be used for wind turbines. Why? Because they are not designed to sit outside in all kinds of weather up a 50 foot pole generating electricity.
  • M1chael
    M1chael Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the help.