Trying to understand Golf Cart Battery Ratings and Labeling

foolios
foolios Solar Expert Posts: 53 ✭✭
I am looking at the golf cart batteries sold at Sam's Club.
I am confused as to why the cheapest battery they sell has a higher 20 amp hour rate than the most expensive one they sell.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-golf-car-battery-group-size-gc2/prod3590228.ip?navAction=push#reviews
20 amp hour rate:215
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-golf-car-battery-group-size-gc12v/prod3870120.ip?navAction=push
20 amp hour rate:155

Does the Group Size mean anything?
BCI Group Size:GC2
vs.
BCI Group Size:GC12

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: Trying to understand Golf Cart Battery Ratings and Labeling

The 6 V GC-2 is a high volume battery, that has a competitive market, where the 12v is a low volume specialty battery, it's a big battery that won't fit a lot of applications. I am sure their retail price is dependent on their cost, of course this a just a guess.
  • foolios

Would the ~$85 one be ok for my solar use?
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Yes GC2 s are preferred assuming it is the 215Ahr model.

While waiting for the page to load there was a bit I managed to read, but don't see it now, it was about limited availability in XX states...??? you may want to follow up on that..

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    foolios wrote: »
    I am confused as to why the cheapest battery they sell has a higher 20 amp hour rate than the most expensive one they sell.
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-golf-car-battery-group-size-gc2/prod3590228.ip?navAction=push#reviews
    20 amp hour rate:215
    This is a 6 volt battery
    foolios wrote: »
    This is a 12 volt battery

The cheaper battery will work fine, but understand you will need 2 of them, in series, for a 12 volt system.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • foolios

Excellent, thank you ALL.