an energy audit.

Shawn-H
Shawn-H Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭
Ok here I am again. I got a better (uses way less fuel) small gen (780w) and plugged in my kilowatt meter (at the geni) for 24 hours and with no swamp cooler or blower fan going i only used 4322 w-hr's. im so lost. i did this very thing in the city before i left and came up wayyyyy higher. I have done this (an energy audit) for at least 12 people who know live off grid happily. How is my useage so much smaller here? what am I missing? I am not running the fridge but i am running tools 1260 saw and compressor (saw and compressor ran from the inverter and used the gen to recharge the bats to full.) ???? im lost happy its lower but lost. What could i be missing?
100% Off-grid in the White Mountains of Arizona. 36 Kyocera 265w mounted on four DPW 9 module pole top mounts, midnite solar combiners, breakers, & lightning arresters, 1 midnight solar classic 150, & 3 classic 150 lights, 3 x 1574 AH GB Industries forklift batteries total of 4722 AH @24v. Feeding a Outback power systems FW500 with 2 x VFX 3624, with the x240. 2 Honda EU3000is gensets with the 240 combiner and control box running LP, and 1 Honda EU2000is Gas. 
System #2 is a off grid water system @ 1590w (6 Kyocera 265's) on a 6 module DPW top of pole mount. Feeding a Granfas deep well pump and pump controller at 580 feet. 2 x 2800 gallon above ground poly storage tanks, and 1 x 1200 gallon underground  cistern and a Granfas 24v booster pump feeding a 90 gallon carbon fiber pressure tank.
Vag woodstove for heat.
Follow our journey at
https://www.facebook.com/ShawnpHarvey

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: an energy audit.

Differences.
    Number of items drawing amounts of Watts over flexible time.
    Variations in ambient temps and other factors that affect consumption of some items?
    Measuring one system based on a utility meter and the other on the Kill-A-Watt?
    Any 240 VAC loads being discounted?

It does give you hope for being able to use less power. :D
  • Shawn-H
    Shawn-H Solar Expert Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Re: an energy audit.
    Differences.
    Number of items drawing amounts of Watts over flexible time.
    Variations in ambient temps and other factors that affect consumption of some items?
    Measuring one system based on a utility meter and the other on the Kill-A-Watt?
    Any 240 VAC loads being discounted?

It does give you hope for being able to use less power. :D

the only thing that was difference was the geni i even used the same kill-A-watt meter to do the audit. the temps are even close by 3f - 5f (86-91f) it is hotter now then it was before. I played 4 hours of online xbox through the surround sound unit all the same stuff i (the kids) were doing back then. even stayed up tell 1 am just to use more lighting. what could i have had in the old place that i don't have here? ( I had no AC or heat or any other 220vac I brought the same things i used to do the audit the first time.) and should i check the usage over much longer due to the massive difference?
    100% Off-grid in the White Mountains of Arizona. 36 Kyocera 265w mounted on four DPW 9 module pole top mounts, midnite solar combiners, breakers, & lightning arresters, 1 midnight solar classic 150, & 3 classic 150 lights, 3 x 1574 AH GB Industries forklift batteries total of 4722 AH @24v. Feeding a Outback power systems FW500 with 2 x VFX 3624, with the x240. 2 Honda EU3000is gensets with the 240 combiner and control box running LP, and 1 Honda EU2000is Gas. 
    System #2 is a off grid water system @ 1590w (6 Kyocera 265's) on a 6 module DPW top of pole mount. Feeding a Granfas deep well pump and pump controller at 580 feet. 2 x 2800 gallon above ground poly storage tanks, and 1 x 1200 gallon underground  cistern and a Granfas 24v booster pump feeding a 90 gallon carbon fiber pressure tank.
    Vag woodstove for heat.
    Follow our journey at
    https://www.facebook.com/ShawnpHarvey