forklift batteries help please

kev1n69
kev1n69 Registered Users Posts: 19
just received my 2 510ah 6-85-13 gb brand
finished unpacking and removing them from the metal cases they came in.

my question to all the forklift battery users here is it better from a maintenance standpoint to have them in a non-corosive battery box like wood, plastic composite deck material, or any non metalic box.

or
is the factory steel boxes from the battery manufacturer all that is required?

the reason i ask is that after the battery builder made my batteries i assume they charged them like they say they do, and their was quite a bit of acid on the cases and the metal boxes.
i assume from spillage and or out gassing while charging them.

i neutralized the acid with baking soda and washed out the metal boxes after rubbing soda everywhere then touched up the paint on the boxes were their was shipping scrapes or bare metal.

my concern come from doing preventative maintenance on a nicad battery bank were corrosion was a major problem.

i understand that i should not get heavy gassing like what they most likely get when doing the initial charge
due to i have the battery caps that recycle the electrolyte and a premium charge controller.

what say yea highly experienced solar guru's painted steal or non metallic which way to go.

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: forklift batteries help please
    kev1n69 wrote: »
    my question to all the forklift battery users here is it better from a maintenance standpoint to have them in a non-corosive battery box like wood, plastic composite deck material, or any non metalic box.

The main purpose of a battery box is to protect the battery from being exposed to accidental short circuits by falling objects. Another purpose is to create a "hood" for venting hydrogen. The fan (if used) must suck air out of the box (not push air into the box). The battery cables must leave the box in conduit and go to an electrical panel with fuses or circuit breakers. The conduit should attach to the box below the tops of the batteries so hydrogen does not rise up into the conduit.

As far as the metallic casing that the batteries came in (not the same as the protective battery box that I just wrote about), I have read (no direct experience) that forklift battery cells should be kept in their casing so that they do not bulge.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

You really need to get the jars back into the case ASAP. The problem is the plastic jars are not strong enough to support the weight of the plates and they will drop down on the sump. The tops of the jars are being pulled down, stress over time can cause them to split open. If your worried about corrosion then seal them in with silicone caulk around the tops.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just put water miser caps on mine, out gassing did allow some acid on the top of the battery and it does promote oxidation of the steel case. It's not uncommon. I would think it's uncommon to has them arrive damp, I'm sure they were cleaned up before they left the shop and likely haven't been charged up since. I'd worry that they didn't have a mishap in transit and I would check the specific gravity now. My GB battery arrived dry.

Did you actually remove them from the steel outer case?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • kev1n69
    Photowhit wrote: »
    I just put water miser caps on mine, out gassing did allow some acid on the top of the battery and it does promote oxidation of the steel case. It's not uncommon. I would think it's uncommon to has them arrive damp, I'm sure they were cleaned up before they left the shop and likely haven't been charged up since. I'd worry that they didn't have a mishap in transit and I would check the specific gravity now. My GB battery arrived dry.

Did you actually remove them from the steel outer case?

yes removed each cell from the case with tool provided by mfr of the batts.
    carried each cell into the mud room.
    mfr was informed that this needed to happen and provided terminal post and interconnects for this purpose.
    they did not mention any problem with having them outside of the case.

no case damage when examining and rubbing down with soda
  • kev1n69
    You really need to get the jars back into the case ASAP. The problem is the plastic jars are not strong enough to support the weight of the plates and they will drop down on the sump. The tops of the jars are being pulled down, stress over time can cause them to split open. If your worried about corrosion then seal them in with silicone caulk around the tops.

well i got them back into the metal case no problem extremely tight fit had to push the middle ones down into the case. checked voltage on individual cells 2.12 average one at 2.13 and 2 at 2.11vdc now to start hooking stuff up.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    kev1n69 wrote: »
    well i got them back into the metal case no problem extremely tight fit had to push the middle ones down into the case. checked voltage on individual cells 2.12 average one at 2.13 and 2 at 2.11vdc now to start hooking stuff up.
    Thats cool, In a few more days you probably would have a much harder time as they swell pretty fast. The Voltages seem to be good, don't forget to use a Hydrometer on the them to check the SG level. You'll want to keep them around 1.280, +/- .10 . They will take some long absorbs to keep the SG's up. They should last you a long time if you take care of them. It starts at day one, it's easier to keep them up than to try to bring them out of deficit. Check the water often as they do not have a large reserve capacity of electrolyte over the top of the plates. Forklift batteries are designed for professional care, you can do it, it just takes some attention to detail.