Looking for information/recommendations for my RV solar 12 volt system.

CRL3512
CRL3512 Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭
This is what I have in solar equipment; I have two separate systems in my RV.

This is what I have.

First System
Solar 100 Watts
• (1) Heliotrope RV-45D Solar Controller
• (1) Isofoton Photovoltaic Module I-100 Watts Current 6.54 A Max 5.74 Voltage 21.6 Max 17.4 Volts Diode 6A, Ser Fuse 10A
Cable down to controller is 8 AWG. & 8 AWG to battery (all factory installed when built)

Thank you for the help.
Curt

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Looking for information/recommendations for my RV solar 12 volt system.

There should have been a recommendation from Kyocera for the fuse/breaker which is what should be in the combiner. The next breaker should be sized to protect the CC from a battery failure or? and it needs to be big enough to allow the Inverter to work. What did X say is needed for the Freedom 3012?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • CRL3512

The Freedom 3012 is all Factory installed & is protected in the coach. The only one that is not fused is from the combiner box and the Classic controller with the (6) 12 Volt parallel Strings.
    Curt
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

What is the surge capacity of the F3012?
    If the install was done properly you should find good sized CB in the circuitry, as the CC will feed the battery and Inverter simultaneously, normally achieved by using a common connection point for the cables, like a Buss Bar.

eg, 3000W / 12V = 250A , with 25% over-protection = 312A so you would need a minimum 300A CB to handle a surge of ~ 3750W.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    CRL3512 wrote: »
    I do not have a breaker between the combiner box and the Classic controller. What size breaker should I install?

Welcome to the forum,

You do not need OCP (over current protection = circuit breaker or fuse) between combiner and controller from a safety perspective. If you put OCP in that cable it must be larger than the possible current that the panels can produce, so therefore a circuit breaker will never trip (or a fuse will never blow).

In most residential systems the combiner is outdoors near the array, and it is required by code to have a circuit breaker near the controller. The circuit breaker is used as a switch, not as OCP. Most controllers require you to connect the battery before you connect the PV. When turning off the controller you must disconnect the PV before you disconnect the battery. A switch near the controller is very convenient.

In an RV, if your combiner is right next to your controller, you can use the circuit breakers in the combiner to be your PV disconnect.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • TucsonAZ
    TucsonAZ Solar Expert Posts: 139 ✭✭

RVs are sooo different so make sure you're asking for RV specific advice as people will tend to overlook that.

I personally found it best to move up to 24v, it isn't super hard, your wiring can handle it, swap your water pump, switch out lights with 24v LEDs and you'll be all set, mostly, you can get a stepdown for the rest. The upside to this was mostly that I could buy the cheaper 24v panels but you already have panels so that advantage isn't there for you, either way, I think I would bring your panels into the MPPT at 24v as there are advantages to doing so (even more so with a longer run from the combiner to the cc).

You have good stuff installed, looks like a good system so just make sure you're getting the most you can from it and remember to sort the RV stuff from stuff relating to houses, grid-tie, and codes.
  • CRL3512

“What is the surge capacity of the F3012?”
    As I have said below, that is all properly installed from the factory.
    --vtMaps
    That is what I thought, you answered my question. Thank you.
    “RVs are sooo different so make sure you're asking for RV specific advice as people will tend to overlook that.”
    As for RV information I did when I bought this system from Northern Arizona Wind & Sun. Great people!
    Well for the 24 volt change over. That won’t happen for me. I have over 70, 12v LED lights in this coach that I change $$$$. This an all-electric coach.

Thank You Curt