Please help me understand this!

bdannels
bdannels Registered Users Posts: 9
I have 2 – 140w 12 volt panels connected to a BlueSky 2000 25 Amp. Controller.
They are in turn connected to 2 –(New)Duracell EGC2 Golf Car Battery - Group Size 230
20 amp hour rate:230 1500w PowerMate inverter.

I am trying to power a Dometic RM-2652 Gas/Eletric Frig. Frig specs. Says it draws 2.75 amps.
I plugged the Frig into the inverter at 12:00 noon, Frig has been running for 1 ½ days on propane.
50-60% cloud coverage, controller says 12.9 volts/10.5 amps out. I have a Kill-a-Watt meter between the Frig. and Inverter showing 324 Watts. 2.7 Amp draw.

Taking random time samples whenever I checked the controller listed below.
Volts Amps. Time
12.41v 11.0a 12:04
12.20v 11.5a 12:10
12.52v 11.1a 12:41
12.17v 11.6a 1:00
11.90v 3.5a 1:08
11.96v 10.9a 1:39
11.87v 10.6a 2:11

When I unplugged the Frig. The Bat. Volts went back up to 12.09 in about 30 seconds. At about 1 minute the bat. Was at 12.16v 7.8amps. I quit looking after that.

I know you need to put more amps in to maintain battery level, BUT this to me is showing I am putting
about 4 times what I am using AND the battery level is still going down fast?

Comments

• AuricTech
    AuricTech Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭
    Re: Please help me understand this!

If the Kill-A-Watt is reading 324 watts @2.7 amps, that gives you a voltage of 120 volts (324W / 2.7a = 120V). Which means that you're actually drawing about 27 amps from your battery bank.

Are you sure your fridge isn't running on AC power?

ETA: Looking at the owner's manual, I see on page 4 that there's an automatic energy selector system that defaults to 120VAC. Is "AUTO" set to "OFF"?

ETA2: Re-reading your post, if you have the fridge plugged into the inverter, you're definitely running on 120VAC, which explains the power drain. Here's a link to an installation guide. On page 10, it discusses how and where to make your DC connection to run the controls. Hope this helps!
  • Plowman
    Plowman Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, looks like you're running the fridge on AC. You shouldn't have it plugged into the inverter, RV fridges need 12V when run off propane. My RV fridge draws a maximum of 0.3 amps @ 12V when running on propane---this just powers the controller. When plugged into AC it draws 200+ Watts @ 120V (massive energy hog when run on AC).
  • bdannels
    bdannels Registered Users Posts: 9

>Hope this helps!

It's shows me I still have a lot to learn, that's for sure!
    I was thinking 2.7 amps was 2.7 amps, not paying any attention to the volts. My son has a 4.2 cu ft frig that he runs with a inverter, NO solar for weekend camping. He says 2 Golf cart batteries will run it all weekend!

Not addressing it will kill the batteries with no charging, I thought I could do the same with my frig and save the gas for cooking and charge the batteries.
    maybe the smaller frig. draws less amps than my Gas/Eletric. I do see where it will NOT run off 12 volts.

Really appreciate your input

Tks.
    Bill
    AuricTech wrote: »
    If the Kill-A-Watt is reading 324 watts @2.7 amps, that gives you a voltage of 120 volts (324W / 2.7a = 120V). Which means that you're actually drawing about 27 amps from your battery bank.

Are you sure your fridge isn't running on AC power?

ETA: Looking at the owner's manual, I see on page 4 that there's an automatic energy selector system that defaults to 120VAC. Is "AUTO" set to "OFF"?

ETA2: Re-reading your post, if you have the fridge plugged into the inverter, you're definitely running on 120VAC, which explains the power drain. Here's a link to an installation guide. On page 10, it discusses how and where to make your DC connection to run the controls. Hope this helps!
  • AuricTech
    AuricTech Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭

The problem with an RV 2-way or 3-way refrigerator is that it's an absorption refrigerator, which means that it uses a heat source to drive the cooling cycle. Unfortunately, using electricity to generate heat is about the most wasteful thing you can do with electricity. It's not a problem in RV parks, where shore power is generally available. Off-grid, you're better off using one of these options:
    • Run your absorption refrigerator on propane
    • Buy an EnergyStar-rated electric refrigerator (compressor refrigerator)
    • Buy a DC-powered compressor refrigerator specifically designed for off-grid use (such as the SunDanzer line of refrigerators and freezers)

Your son's small refrigerator is almost certainly a compressor refrigerator, though probably not one optimized for maximum efficiency.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    AuricTech wrote: »
    r is almost certainly a compressor refrigerator, though probably not one optimized for maximum efficiency.

And as many of us here have tested/proved, it is very likely your son's little 4cf fridge (even if brand new) uses as much, if not more, power than a new full sized 18cf energy efficient fridge. The small units are horrible.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html