Momentary Output spike to 0.0kwh

newmex999
newmex999 Registered Users Posts: 7
Noticed that there was a momentary spike downward today in my output from 5kwh to 0.0kwh, then right back up again. Not a cloud in the sky

If there is a momentary blip in the power coming from the grid, can it cause this? The blip, if it occurred(I wasn't home) was not long enough so that I had to reset clocks/etc.

System is 7 months old and this is the first time I have noticed something like this.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Momentary Output spike to 0.0kwh

What brand/model of system do you have?

Grid tied, hybrid, or what?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • newmex999
    BB. wrote: »
    What brand/model of system do you have?

Grid tied, hybrid, or what?

-Bill

Sunpower panels, 6000 Inverter, grid tied.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭

Question to think about:

Is this really a dip in the GTI output or is it a glitch in the output reporting via network, etc.?

It may be that all you are seeing is a problem with the GTI reporting output or the monitoring programs data communications.
    If the inverter drops out because of an apparent grid problem, I would expect 5 minutes or more to go by before the inverter re-qualified the AC input and started up again.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

If the utility line is "unstable" it can cause the grid tie inverter to reset and re-qualify the line. Were the outages about 5 minutes in duration, usually that is the 300 sec required for the reset.

All it takes is the utility to mess with either the voltage or line frequency to get it to happen. I see it here occasionally and suspect cutting in/out transmission can cause it.
  • newmex999
    solar_dave wrote: »
    If the utility line is "unstable" it can cause the grid tie inverter to reset and re-qualify the line. Were the outages about 5 minutes in duration, usually that is the 300 sec required for the reset.

All it takes is the utility to mess with either the voltage or line frequency to get it to happen. I see it here occasionally and suspect cutting in/out transmission can cause it.

Dip occurred at 1:55pm and inverter was back online at 2:05pm, so it appears it may have been the utility company doing something. Thanks