10 ga wire

ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
if you were running 10 gauge from your panels to the CC would you buy a 2 conductor 10 wire in a wrap or use 2 separate 10 wires??

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: 10 ga wire

Whichever is cheaper.
    Usually cable comes with a ground wire as well, yet may be less expensive per foot due to bulk sales (common size in house wiring applications) as opposed to single strand.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

Wouldn't that realy depend if you are running it in conduit or open air? If in open air has (should be) rated for sun exposure.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • Cariboocoot
    SkiDoo55 wrote: »
    Wouldn't that realy depend if you are running it in conduit or open air? If in open air has (should be) rated for sun exposure.

That is an issue of the insulation, not of the wire gauge or number of conductors. Most wire is not rated for UV exposure and so should be in conduit.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    That is an issue of the insulation, not of the wire gauge or number of conductors. Most wire is not rated for UV exposure and so should be in conduit.
    Agree that 10 ga is 10 ga but he mentioned multi-conductor vs: single conductor and that is packaging and insulation type, which is dependant upon use and exposure. How or where he runs it, in conduit, open air thru the attic, under ground etc all determines type of insulation required per code due to the installation methods used.Just wanted to get OP thinking that there are more things to consider than just the guage of wire used.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • Cariboocoot
    SkiDoo55 wrote: »
    Agree that 10 ga is 10 ga but he mentioned multi-conductor vs: single conductor and that is packaging and insulation type, which is dependant upon use and exposure. How or where he runs it, in conduit, open air thru the attic, under ground etc all determines type of insulation required per code due to the installation methods used.Just wanted to get OP thinking that there are more things to consider than just the guage of wire used.

Well if I have to assume everyone doesn't know anything about what they are doing then all the posts will become a simple "don't do it" and the forum will be very dull indeed.

Non-UV rated wire needs to go in conduit. That is a given.
  • KC-watts
    KC-watts Solar Expert Posts: 37

Allowable ampacity of bundled conductors (current carrying) doesn't derate under ISO until 4 conductor cables are used (even then, the standard for systems over 50 volts).
    BTW, I see insulated wire everywhere basking in the sun, about 6 or 8 AWG too. It's the split phase two conductor with built-in guy wire that feeds every residential panel in communities with overhead utility lines.
  • Cariboocoot
    KC-watts wrote: »
    Allowable ampacity of bundled conductors (current carrying) doesn't derate under ISO until 4 conductor cables are used (even then, the standard for systems over 50 volts).
    BTW, I see insulated wire everywhere basking in the sun, about 6 or 8 AWG too. It's the split phase two conductor with built-in guy wire that feeds every residential panel in communities with overhead utility lines.

Not all insulation is the same. Some of it is UV rated. Hard to tell just from looking at it, especially after a few years in the sun. BTW the non-UV stuff isn't going to fail instantly, just faster than the other would.
  • ws9876

a 10 ga romex with ground would work,no?? thats insulated..... most of the run is inside...about 60 ft
  • KC-watts
    KC-watts Solar Expert Posts: 37
    ws9876 wrote: »
    a 10 ga romex with ground would work,no?? thats insulated..... most of the run is inside...about 60 ft

Romex insulation gets crispy in the sun and needs a solid surface for attachment. But, if you're working with less than 50 volts, are not connecting to the power grid, and properly fuse, I'd say go ahead and get generating! I can even say dumpster dive for that Romex and wire nut all those shorts together. But once you go over 50 volts and/or use devices connected to the power grid, you are outside of the hobby zone and need to comply with electrical codes.
  • Desert Rat
    Desert Rat Solar Expert Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    I don't know the specifics of your system, but it's a sure bet that 10 ga wire will be insufficient for a 60 ft. run.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Remember that low voltage DC has much more current and a nasty habit of sustaining arcs with poor connections and short circuits.

Yes, no code to worry about.... But if a permanent install, you should be every bit as careful as when working with 120/240 VAC. Fire around your home and family is not good.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ws9876

60 ft of 60 volt dc later it would be 40 ft of 90 volt
    for now its a 12 volt system but later a 48 v.
  • Cariboocoot
    60 ft of 60 volt dc later it would be 40 ft of 90 volt
    for now its a 12 volt system but later a 48 v.

To see if the wire is suitable you need the length of the run, the Voltage, and the current involved. All three factor in to it.
  • jtdiesel65
    jtdiesel65 Solar Expert Posts: 242 ✭✭✭

I'd bet the cheapest #10 would be the insulated outdoor wire used for well pump runs that you can buy in Home Depot type stores usually in 25, 50, and 100 ft rolls.

I used a 100 ft of this type of wire layed right on the ground for a temporary run (about 6 months) from my panels to charge controller. My panels were 4020 watts with typical voltage ~72v. I had another identical set of panels connected via 4/0-4/0-2/0 service cable at the same length. The #10 charge controller output looked to be about 2 amps less at peak than the service cable charge controller. Both are classic 150 charge controllers and the system is 24v.

On edit: I didn't see that most of your run is inside. I personally would never put indoor cable outside. The shielding will get hard and crack esp if you have winter and you step on it or move it.
  • ws9876

I used an online wire size calculator. 2 panels at 30 v each in series...panels like these run about 9-11 amps,no?? that means about roughly 10 amps at 60 volts. The calc says 10 wire is correct for 60 ft.
  • AuricTech
    AuricTech Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭

Plugging your numbers into this calculator, I get a 2.1% voltage drop, which is a bit high, but still workable. Were I designing a system for myself, I would spring for 8 AWG wire (voltage drop 1.3%).