Source for 12V Switches

Options
quid_non
quid_non Solar Expert Posts: 48
Hi All!
Looking for a good source of 12V switches for some fluorescent lamps I am building. These will be 12 V, have 40W DC ballast and likely carry ~1.8A. I colud use automotive toggles, but was looking for wall mount or similiar types. Any help/links appreciated!
Thanks
Wayne

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Source for 12V Switches

What is the matter with conventional wall switches? I believe that some come ac/dc rated. Also rocker switches might be an option.

Tony
  • quid_non
    Options
    icarus wrote: »
    What is the matter with conventional wall switches? I believe that some come ac/dc rated. Also rocker switches might be an option.

Tony

Thanks for the reply - I'm having a problem finding wall switches that are AC/DC rated - looked at local bix box store. Based on what I have read, many sources discourage the use of conventional AC switches for the same reasons not to use AC breakers. I'm not sure of this, but what I've read. 12V rockers are a good idea - but difficult to find decent mounting hardware.
    Thanks
    Wayne
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

DC gas a much greater tendency to arc when opened. In the case of breakers this presents a safety issue as the breaker can weld itself shut.

Tony

PS at under 2 amps I don't think I would worry about using ac swithes
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

have you thought of using a marine toggle bank or atv or auto motive 3 or 4 toggle bank switches, some are fused and have led light to indicate on or off
    Bill
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

If you have inductive DC loads (motors or long wire runs), you can use an automotive "condenser" (capacitor from an old car with points--delays the arc until the switch contacts are farther apart) or use a reversed biased diode on the load side of the switch (to source the inductive current instead of drawing an arc across the switch).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options

Currently using a 120VAC light switch for 2 5W fluorescent lamps. Its been about 8 months of use, so far everything is working.

A wall switch should be ok, worst thing that could happen, is the light get stuck on.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i too see nothing wrong with using ac wall switches with an amp or 2 of dc. if they break, buy some more as they're cheap. bb's advice is also good for some circumstances. or go with dc only switches, but i have to say i've had some bad luck in the past with some dc switches not lasting any longer than an ac switch would've. we are still talking low current on them so that wasn't the problem as much as mechanically they were inferior.
  • quid_non
    Options

Thanks all for the comments and advice - I have plenty of AC wall switches for use. I will use one of those. As always - this is a great forum!
    Best
    Wayne
  • Redford
    Redford Solar Expert Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Options

I have used some IMTRA products in my home. They have worked out really good for the past 5 years. The products are used for marine type applications so they are meant for tough environments (and can be tough on the wallet environment too).

I waited until there was a sale and bought a couple of switches and a couple of gold-plated lights! Most of the items I have bought so far have been made in Italy.

http://www.imtra.com/product/marine_lighting/switching/iml_top_system_switching.htm

I too have used some AC rated switches for switching small amperage loads and they have worked just as well.