Circuit breaker question for dc

Hello!

I'm considering getting ABB:s circuit breakers. Datasheet here:
http://www05.abb.com/global/scot/scot209.nsf/veritydisplay/44c5b5ac208f3f25c1257ad7004ec86a/$file/2CDC002157D0202_view.pdf

System is 12vdc, there's only led lights here. Will be two circuits, one for indoor lights, the other for outdoors lights.

this says min operating voltage is 12 vdc. I also asked the company about these and dc operation, and they said they are fine.

What do you think? Are these ok?
Or should I get Midnite DC Breakers form the shop here?
Pricewise there is no significant difference, it's just that Midnite isn't available here.. shipping takes time.

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Circuit breaker question for dc

Square D "QO" breakers are rated to 48 VDC, and aren't expensive.

I find it interesting that the ones you list have this statement:
    "Min. operating voltage 12 V AC, 12 V DC"
    If there's a good reason for that, than you may be cutting it very close with your 12 volt system.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭

Get proper field tested industry standard breakers, order on line, right here. Why make things dificult?
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    zoneblue wrote: »
    Get proper field tested industry standard breakers, order on line, right here. Why make things dificult?

I agree. I mean, get the proper part for the job. The "true" DC breakers available from our host (and other places) are only a few $ more than trying to rig up the square-D stuff. I did exactly what you are wanting to do years ago and I wish I never did because I just ended up going with the proper breakers later on, wasting the money I spent on the square-d stuff, and have been much happier with them. Now, I am not saying I had any issues with the square-d ones, but it is just a cleaner install using the "specific" solar combiners and breakers.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • samppa
    samppa Registered Users Posts: 20

Yeah, good advice.
    I found a Uk seller for midnite breakers, gonna order from there - I'm in Europe so ordering from here takes a bit too much time.