HY1000L tail fin and tail boom

TurboMiles
TurboMiles Registered Users Posts: 2
I have an HY1000L on a 56' tower. To my north the is an open field of grass and production is great when cold fronts come in during the winter. During the summer we get 15-20mph south wind but I don't get good production because of the 70' pines in my front yard. The tower is about 300' away but I still get turbulent wind that spins the turbine out of the wind. If anyone is familiar with my turbine would adding a stop sign size piece of metal to the tail fin help it stay in the wind better? To me it looks like the tail boom and tail fin are too short and small.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: HY1000L tail fin and tail boom

If you are in turbulent air--The turbine will not generate much power--Turbulent air has lost much of its energy.

http://www.windlab.com/technology/turbulence
    A high degree of turbulence has several negative impacts on wind turbines. First, the turbine has to be designed to cope with the peak loads it will experience. If turbulence is high, the maximum loads on the blades, gearbox, generator and tower will also be higher. Typically, turbines designed to cope with high turbulence loads cost more and yield less energy.
    Second, turbulent wind gusts occur at random frequencies and speeds. These rapidly changing loads have the potential to excite resonances (large vibrations) in the turbine and its supporting tower. Stiffer and stronger structures are needed to combat this.
    Third, cyclically varying loads can cause fatigue problems in turbine structures. For example, if the blades are constantly flexed by turbulent wind gusts, they will need to be designed to safely withstand a greater number of these movements before failure.
    Finally, rotor blades moving through turbulent air meet constantly varying conditions. In turbulent conditions the local wind environment is randomly changing in a way for which each blade cannot compensate. For example, a change of apparent wind direction or speed may cause localized stalling of the blade, so reducing the amount of energy being yielded by the generator.

A quick method to see how high your tower needs to be--Fly a kite and see where the stable air flow begins.

Just using rules of thumbs, your blades need to be 70+30=100 feet above ground level.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

what type (species) of trees and are they pruned from the ground up?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • TurboMiles
    TurboMiles Registered Users Posts: 2
    westbranch wrote: »
    what type (species) of trees and are they pruned from the ground up?

The trees are pines. I kept the turbine controlled with a 11v-30v inverter. Most of the time had light winds and the low speed kept it in the wind. Well one day a thunderstorm moved through with 50mph gusts and took every blade off. It didn't run away, had a1000w invert behind the 500 with a1500w dump loads. So the turbine is a wind vane now. Don't know what to do with it, it's not cost effective to put it at 100+ feet. Thinking generator exercise bike connected to the tv for my wife. Haha.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

Turbo
    Here is a thread that may be of interest if you must work with what you have.

http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6884&PN=2&TPN=3

The mod seems to be strait angle blades and a swiviling tail, the blade for power at lower wind speeds and the tail swivil to smooth the side to side action that turbulance causes. Or you could just put your money on more solar.

I have seen several tail mods on youtube. It sounds like you are using the cheap grid tie inverters that they sell on ebay and not charging a battery. I am suprized if this is the case that the turbine ever gets above an amp.
    Good luck
    gww