CA setback requirements

photon_trap
photon_trap Registered Users Posts: 23 ✭✭
I'm nearly ready to assemble my solar system from parts I have picked up over the last couple years and am having some difficulty as to the application of the new 2014 36 inch panel setback requirements my lovely state has imposed. My understanding is that panels must be 36 inches from the crest and on each side of the roof section (in my case a simple gable roof) My main question is, does this apply to non-habitable structures? (a detached two car garage)

I have done a ton of searches and have yet to find a clear answer. If anyone is familiar with these code requirements (or links to em) I'd sure appreciate the help

Thanks!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: CA setback requirements

For code matters it is always best to contact the local AHJ and ask them what will pass. Get it i writing and signed too, as these 'authorities' often change or have failing memories.
  • chiefk
    chiefk Registered Users Posts: 7

Best idea would be to move out of California and get to some common sense state.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    chiefk wrote: »
    Best idea would be to move out of California and get to some common sense state.

They got them here too now. Mine was in before the requirements.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

You can check with your local Fire Marshal. Depending on roof access etc they may be able to wave the top ridge line requirement. I did and he gave me a waiver for mine here. May not work but it might. He went to Google earth to look at my situation while I was in his office! And determined that they had easy access from the other side.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

That is what I would hope--South roof is covered in my smallish 2 story / 3 bedroom home... The north side is open (and 45 degree pitch facing the street)--I would hope that would be "good enough" for most fire departments.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset