Direct drive washing machine, power consumption

zoneblue
zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
As promised here is a 1 second Whizbang plot for a clothes wash cycle using a F&P smartdrive washer.

Here i turned off all loads except a stable 2A background baseload, and the also turned off PV (as the charge controller sometimes introduces some noise on the WBJr data stream) for the duration.

Attachment not found.

Points to note:

- cold wash on 3/4 full setting

- this is DC power usage, hence the data incorporates inverter losses.

- the data also incorperates the water pump that runs continously whenever the washer draws water. Its a flojet 24v model, and you can see it running alone just at the start of the curve. I wont attempt to calculate what proportion of the total draw was from it.

- cycle time was 54 mins.

- total cycle use was 139.8Wh.

- average draw was 154W.

- peak draw (early in final spin) was 419W.

- idle tare is 5W.
1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Comments

• petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Direct drive washing machine, power consumption

Hi . Interesting . What model was that . they have an "eco model ". Not sure what the eco model incorporates .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I will try to log the same data with my new direct drive washer in 1 second intervals. Remember, mine is a standard "energy efficient" top-load Maytag Centennial model but has no clutch or transmission and just reverses the motor every second to agitate.

But since I have a bunch of other stuff running at the same time, I would have to figure out a way to eliminate all of it (other than turning those things off - which I might just have to do for the washer cycle).
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi . Interesting . What model was that . they have an "eco model ". Not sure what the eco model incorporates .

Its an older model, GW601. The F&P smart drive line were first manufactured in 1991. Not much has changed internally since that original design. Theres a service manual for much of the range here: http://www.angelsnz.net/ZL3SV/misc/F&P%20Service%20manual%20517735.pdf

Yes, suprisingly difficult to depower ones house. Still, its only the eratic loads you need off, stable ones you can just leave as a baseline.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• nobody928
    nobody928 Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭

I bought my samsung 4.2 model last week wich is also a direct drive. I am not sure the exact measurements on mine but I imagine they are far superior beings that the annual usage energystar estimation is at 7 dollars when using gas water heater or only using cold water. I am super happy with my unit.

Thanks a bunch zone blue for taking your time to do this test. I wanted to be well informed before jumping in to an expensive purchase. I kinda went with my gut on this one. Obviously its a bit hard to test an item when its still on the shelf. Sometimes its a crap shoot but I think I got lucky as mine works well with little battery consumption.