Batteries and Generator?

stmar
stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
1. Every time I think I am ready to pull the trigger another factoid comes up: I was told that L16 batteries were the higher priced compared to other frame sizes per AH. Does anyone know why and what the benefit of spending more per AH on L16's would be if space was not an issue?

2. Preface this with the knowledge that I have never had nor used a generator: I was advised to think about getting a generator for a backup to charge the battery bank. The advice was specifically the Honda EU2000. I know there are multiple brands/sizes/technologies out there but for this discussion let's stay with the Honda. Would this generator be sufficient to charge a 400 - 500 AH 24 volt battery bank through an SW4024. It would be rarely used for this purpose and would probably be used more in a mobile situation. If it was needed for charging the bank the loads would be disconnected until the batteries were charged. How would you know when they were charged? I assume the SW4024 meter would read what the generator was inputting into the bank.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Batteries and Generator?

1. What brand/model of L16's (6 volt, 2 volt, AH, etc.).

2. That is getting to be a fairly large battery bank... For a 450 AH @ 24 volt battery bank 5-25% rate of charge:
    • 450 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.80 charger eff * 1/0.67 charger power factor * 0.10 rate of charge * 1/0.80 genset derating = 3,043 Watt genset worst case charger
    • 450 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.90 charger eff * 1/0.95 charger power factor * 0.10 rate of charge * 1/0.80 genset derating = 1,908 Watt genset best case charger
    The first is assuming a good quality power supply on the lower side of efficiency (Iota type supply) and the second is about the best you will find (typically an inverter-charger unit) at 10% rate of charge (typically an AC charger is sized around 10-20% rate of charge).

You could use a Honda eu2000i, but it is going to be on the smallish side of the charging equation for that size battery bank.

Many folks end up with two gensets--A small one like the eu2000i inverter-generator to run the home and keep the battery bank from getting too discharged during bad weather (quiet, lower fuel consumption for smaller loads). And a second larger unit (call it 2,000-5,000 Watt in your case) larger genset for heavier loads (shop tools, higher battery charging current/shorter run time) and backup for the smaller genset.

Gensets tend to be more fuel efficient when operated at 50% or more of rated output. The smaller gensets (like Honda and Yamaha inverter-generators) are pretty fuel efficient down towards 25% of rated output (plus they simple use less gallons per hour of fuel). It is not unusual for small gensets to run at 1/10 to 1/4 gallon per hour over rated power range and a 5kW genset to run around 1/2 to 1 gallon per hour.

Diesel gensets tend to want around 40% to 60% of rated load minimum to avoid wet stacking, carbonizing, and/or cylinder glazing.

Propane stores well but takes more gallons per kWH generated due to lower fuel density. Diesel is a nice fuel, can be some storage issues (water can get cause growths in tank). Gasoline tends to be easier to start in cold weather (so I read--not cold where I live).

You could live with a small eu2000i (1,600 watt)--Especially if your operating loads are in the 400 to 1,600 watt range. Some of the inverter generators allow you to connect two gensets in parallel--A possibility vs a small+large genset. I just don't usually like the idea of running two at the same time (2x maintenance, some failure takes out both gensets at the same time, etc.)--But that is a personal bias.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • stmar

I was looking at AGMs, L16's SunXtender (PVX4050) 6 volt vs size 4 D 12 volt AGMs SunXtender (PVX2120).
    For comparison: L16 = $5.80 per ah
    4D = $5.32 per ah
    I just took a published price and did my calculation.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    stmar wrote: »
    Would this generator be sufficient to charge a 400 - 500 AH 24 volt battery bank through an SW4024.

I use a honda eu2000 to charge my 375 ah 24 volt batteries through my Outback inverter/charger. I program my Outback to draw no more than 9 amps AC from the generator, even though the generator can put out 13 amps continuously... therefore I can even run a few hundred watts of AC loads while charging. With the 9 AC amps from the generator, the Outback pushes 35 amps DC into my batteries. I could push more into the batteries, but for my battery bank 35 amps in enough.

I would presume (but don't know) that the SW4024 could do the same.
    BB. wrote: »
    Some of the inverter generators allow you to connect two gensets in parallel--A possibility vs a small+large genset. I just don't usually like the idea of running two at the same time (2x maintenance, some failure takes out both gensets at the same time, etc.)--But that is a personal bias.

I think forum member Blackcherry04 uses two honda eu2000 generators in parallel because it is easier to move the two eu2000s than to move one eu3000. If you have some small loads it is more efficient to run one eu2000 than to run a eu3000. If you need high power, you can draw more power from two eu2000s in parallel than from a single eu3000.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also consider what your loads are, what the generator can handle, and what the inverter can handle. The Xantrex/Conext XW series have a feature called (true) generator support, where you have a 2Kw genset, and are running 1 kw of loads, and 1 kw of charging. Then the microwave comes on, and the inverter will throttle back charging, or even use the batteries to assist the genset, till the load backs off. Then it goes right back to charging and small loads. It's pretty awesome to watch the gauges on the combox as this happens, and it's fast and seamless.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• stmar

The SW4024's menu settings have Generator settings that probably do what your Outback does, I will have to dig a little deeper to be sure. Thanks for the input, the eu2000 looks like a good size where you could utilize it for more than the power system and move it around easily.
  • BB.

When configuring inverter-chargers--Make sure you understand what you are programming... Some systems (I think) use the 120 VAC current to the charger as the charging limit--Not the DC output (i.e., 9 amps at 120 VAC turns into 90 amps at 12 VDC).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    Some systems (I think) use the 120 VAC current to the charger as the charging limit--Not the DC output (i.e., 9 amps at 120 VAC turns into 90 amps at 12 VDC).

You think correct... at least with the inverter/chargers that I know about (Magnum and Outback). --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • stmar

So does that mean when I set my inverter to 5 amps VAC charging it is charging the battery bank at 25 amps @ 24 VDC? And at the factory default it would have been charging at 30 amps VAC it would have been 150 amps @ 24 VDC? No wonder the tech told me to drop the charge rate!!! He said that the SW4024 had a powerful charger (up to 35 amps) and my battery bank was on the small side (4 - PVX2580 - 516 AH @ 24 VDC)

Does anybody have a theory on why the L16 frame batteries are more expensive per AH? I am trying to determine which bank to go with; most bang for the buck but don't want to save a penny and end up spending a dime later.
    When configuring inverter-chargers--Make sure you understand what you are programming... Some systems (I think) use the 120 VAC current to the charger as the charging limit--Not the DC output (i.e., 9 amps at 120 VAC turns into 90 amps at 12 VDC).

-Bill
  • BB.
    So does that mean when I set my inverter to 5 amps VAC charging it is charging the battery bank at 25 amps @ 24 VDC? And at the factory default it would have been charging at 30 amps VAC it would have been 150 amps @ 24 VDC? No wonder the tech told me to drop the charge rate!!! He said that the SW4024 had a powerful charger (up to 35 amps) and my battery bank was on the small side (4 - PVX2580 - 516 AH @ 24 VDC)

I @ 12 volts = 5 amps * 120 VAC * 1/24 volts charging low battery = 25 Amps (ignoring any losses)

A 516 AH battery bank (assumuing ~20 Hour Rate) at 35 amp rate of charge:

35/516AH = 0.07 = 7% rate of charge

I would not call that excessive rate of charge at all... 5% is pretty much the minimum I would recommend for charging a battery bank (assuming no other DC loads at the time).
    Does anybody have a theory on why the L16 frame batteries are more expensive per AH? I am trying to determine which bank to go with; most bang for the buck but don't want to save a penny and end up spending a dime later.

Don't know--I would suggest calling the mfg. tech support line and find out if they have any reasons.

What
  • vtmaps
    So does that mean when I set my inverter to 5 amps VAC charging it is charging the battery bank at 25 amps @ 24 VDC?

Almost... those numbers would mean 100% efficiency for the charger. Probably about 22 amps at 24 volts.
    He said that the SW4024 had a powerful charger (up to 35 amps) and my battery bank was on the small side (4 - PVX2580 - 516 AH @ 24 VDC)

That's nonsense. Most lead acid batteries like a 10% charge rate... that would be 50 amps for your batteries. And AGM batteries can usually take much higher charge rates than 10%.

--vtMaps
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

Maybe I am foggy, but I don't know the purpose of this system. If it's grid tied and for backup then once you drop from 100 % charged before the outage, then you drop to 50% dod and only charge back to 80-85 %. All you need the Generator to do is to put back what you use during the generator off time. You need to size the bank to pull those loads for that period of time. There lot's of variations to how you do it. Lately I'v been using longer Generator run time with the Honda EU 2000 with a 700 - 800 watt load. With a 800 Amp Hr bank, I generally have to put back 280 Amp hrs or so a day. I have several charging sources and use between 35 -75 amp's of DC charging capability depending on the AC loads. For those 280 amp hr's I can run a 5000 BTU A/C, Refrigerator and lights overnight. I don't have any Solar on this system, but it's contribution would have to be figured in if it wasn't compromised from the outage.
  • stmar

So are you saying that the 5 amp setting (SW4024 Menu 10 Set Max Charge Amps AC) is not appropriate, too low, for a grid tied 512 AH AGM battery bank? Before I had my inverter repaired it was on the factory default of 30 amps, the range for the charge setting is 01 - 35. I am trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before I replace this bank so feel free to input any suggestions or comments.
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Almost... those numbers would mean 100% efficiency for the charger. Probably about 22 amps at 24 volts.

That's nonsense. Most lead acid batteries like a 10% charge rate... that would be 50 amps for your batteries. And AGM batteries can usually take much higher charge rates than 10%.

--vtMaps
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

SW4024 has a Charger output rating for 24 VDC system of 90 ADCCharger SpecificationsNOTE: All charging specifications are at nominal conditions: ambient temperature of 77 °F (25 °C), split-phase 120/240 VAC, 60 Hz unless otherwise specified.DC Output SW 2524 120/240 SW 4024 120/240Maximum output current 65 A 90 ANominal output voltage 24 VDC 24 VDCCharging output voltage operation range 12.0–32.0 VDC 12.0–32.0 VDCEqualization cycle Automatic, Manual by SCP Automatic, Manual by SCPOptimal charging efficiency 90% 90%Dead battery charge voltage > 12.0 VDC > 12.0 VDC Charging methods (two settings) Three-stage charge (Bulk, Absorption, Float) [default Without a battery temperature sensor (three settings)With a battery temperature sensor (provided) Two-stage charge (Bulk, Absorption)Cool 50 °F (10 °C)Warm 77 °F (25 °C) [default]Hot 104 °F (40 °C)The temperature compensation coefficients on a 24-volt battery are as follows:Flooded: 54 mV × (25 °C – BTS °C)Gel: 54 mV × (25 °C – BTS °C) AGM: 42 mV × (25 °C – BTS °C)AC Input SW 2524 120/240 SW 4024 120/240Power factor at full charge rate > 0.98 > 0.98Current 9 A 13 AVoltage 120/240 VAC 120/240 VAC
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • SkiDoo55

Question
    is this a older SW or the newer Conext SW
    though about that after I posted specs for the Conext SW4024?
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • stmar

It is the older Trace/Xantrex about 12 years old.
    SkiDoo55 wrote: »
    Question
    is this a older SW or the newer Conext SW
    though about that after I posted specs for the Conext SW4024?
  • SkiDoo55

Sorry then the info I posted was incorrect for your inverter. Should have asked that question first!
  • vtmaps

This came as a PM:
    stmar wrote:
    could you tell me if the 5 amp charge rate would be detrimental to the bank, does it use more grid power to get the same charge since you have to charge a longer time?

That is a complex question and I don't have enough info to answer it. I would have to know the efficiency of your charger, and that varies by the battery voltage and the current into the battery. The battery itself will affect the amount of grid power you use... for example, if your charge current is too low, it will just counteract the self discharge of the battery... no matter how long you run the charger, you will not be charging the battery. If the charge current is too high, you will be wasting power when the battery gasses and heats up.

stmar wrote:
    This bank is at the end of it's life cycle so I would like to know more for when I spend $3K on new batteries, I want to start them out on a good note and not just do what I have been doing if it can be more efficient/beneficial.
    If you're getting new batteries, consider flooded batteries and an hydrometer. Also, get a battery monitor, they are very cheap compared to the batteries.

--vtMaps
  • stmar

With the information/input I have received I think that 5 amps AC (20 amps DC) may be too low, even considering that the battery bank is getting old. If it were a new bank the charge rate would be calculated to about 25 amps AC (100 amps DC), if my math is correct; 512 ah @ 24 vdc. Since the bank is old what would be a good safe rate to set until I replace the batteries? My solar is, for example, up to 12 amps and the bank is showing 28+ volts at 8:45 in the morning, that is controlled by the ProStar-30.
  • stmar

I jumped up to 15 amps AC. Is this okay? Is there any risk vs. reward for upping the amperage? I do have a sensor for battery temperature, just wondering since the bank is near the end of it's life cycle.
    With the information/input I have received I think that 5 amps AC (20 amps DC) may be too low, even considering that the battery bank is getting old. If it were a new bank the charge rate would be calculated to about 25 amps AC (100 amps DC), if my math is correct; 512 ah @ 24 vdc. Since the bank is old what would be a good safe rate to set until I replace the batteries? My solar is, for example, up to 12 amps and the bank is showing 28+ volts at 8:45 in the morning, that is controlled by the ProStar-30.
  • Blackcherry04
    I jumped up to 15 amps AC. Is this okay? Is there any risk vs. reward for upping the amperage? I do have a sensor for battery temperature, just wondering since the bank is near the end of it's life cycle.
    Your not going to hurt anything, but if your using the Honda EU 2000 you'll get a little short of 3 hrs to a gallon of fuel and above the 13.5 amp limit on continuous output. A lot depends how long your staying in Bulk and if your using high amps in Absorb ( gassing ). Once you get to gassing voltage then is when watch the current.
  • stmar

Sorry, should have stated that I am on the grid and wanted to make sure by increasing the AC charge amperage I was not risking anything. Batteries stay in FLT most of the time, except during sunny days when they jump to the 28 volt range. I have not used the Honda to charge batteries yet, will probably have a few questions when I try that.
    Your not going to hurt anything, but if your using the Honda EU 2000 you'll get a little short of 3 hrs to a gallon of fuel. A lot depends how long your staying in Bulk and if your using high amps in Absorb ( gassing ). Once you get to gassing voltage then is when watch the current.
  • Blackcherry04
    Sorry, should have stated that I am on the grid and wanted to make sure by increasing the AC charge amperage I was not risking anything. Batteries stay in FLT most of the time, except during sunny days when they jump to the 28 volt range. I have not used the Honda to charge batteries yet, will probably have a few questions when I try that.
    Grid, no problem. let'er rip. Generally the 5-15 % is acceptable to charge them, 20 % is not a problem if your temperature correcting. If I am in a hurry I'll go to 25% but cut back in absorb, otherwise it'll end the charge to early.

As summer comes and the ambient temperature of your batteries goes up then you have to make sure that your not over stressing them with high temps.
  • BB.

Actually, 15 amps on a 120 VAC circuit would require:
    • 15 amps * 1.25 NEC derating = 18.75 ~ 20 Amp branch circuit breaker.
    A 15 amp breaker would be:
    • 15 amps * 1/1.25 NEC derating = 12 Amps max continuous loads on 15 amp branch circuit
    So, check the branch circuit you are plugged into... If you have a 15 amp breaker/14 AWG wiring, 15 amp continuous load could pop the branch breaker after a power failure/recharging your battery bank.

Also, with consumer generators, you should not run them more than ~80% of rated output.

In general, most of our house hold loads are pretty small except for starting surges and cycling loads (water heaters, well pumps, etc.).

With a discharged battery bank and a good AC battery charger, you can draw 4+ hours at max continuous current--Most generators and many wiring devices really do not do well when operated at max rated current over multiple hours (can overheat, trip fuses/breakers, etc.).

-Bill
  • stmar

The 15 amps I was referring to is a setting on my SW4024, menu #10 Battery Charging "Set Max Charge Amps AC". When I use the generator I will be sure to set Menu #11 AC Inputs "Set Gen (AC2) Amps AC" to about 10 amps. The EU2000 is rated at 1600 watts, 13.3 amps, so 10 should be okay.
  • BB.

I understand, but to program 15 amps on the 120 VAC in--According to code (and actually good practices with a battery charger and a a large battery bank) would need a 20 Amp branch circuit to run reliably.

According to NEC, you take the branch circuit rating (usually breaker rating), Multiply by 0.8, and get the maximum continuous current (15 amps * 0.8 NEC derate = 12 amps maximum on 15 amp branch circuit).

-Bill
  • stmar

I am getting ready to test my EU2000 to SW4024 and want to make sure I have the sequence correct and minimize rookie mistakes. I have never used a generator for anything.
    1. Start generator
    2. Plug cable from AC-2 into generator
    3. Set SW4024 generator menu #2 "Set Generator" to "ON"
    Do I need to disconnect the grid AC power before I do this? How do you know how long to run the generator and how much the batteries are charged? I will probably wait for a cloudy day or evening to do this so as not to have the PV array charging at the same time. From the SW documentation the generator should carry the loads and charge the batteries intelligently, using power where it is needed. I will set the Gen AC-2 to 10 amps since the Honda can carry 13 amps continuous.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Since the gen is new, start it and let it warm up a bit , revs should become stable, then turn ECO switch ON and try starting a Skil saw or other heavy load to see how it handles the load, repeat with ECO OFF, then hook it up to the Inverter/charger. You want to do a bit of a break in with a few tanks of gas getting it to rev up and down under varying loads... constant running or idle is not what you want at this time.

hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • stmar

Good advice, will have to make an effort to break in since it will not be used that often. Gives me an excuse to play with it!! It is quiet compared to the neighbor's Subaru engine generator.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Set up a sub-panel with breakers (15A) in it for the generator. Use the $15 replaceable breakers instead of flipping the $268 breaker built into the genset.

Perform all inverter charger programming before you start the genset, I set the charge amps and load amps first, then start the genset, and since mine is diesel, it connects at low amps, as soon as the inverter qualifies it. Then as it warms up, I manually re-program progressively higher amps.
    I will set the Gen AC-2 to 10 amps since the Honda can carry 13 amps continuous.
    does the inverter use the actual settings you program? My XW uses 80% of the programmed setting, you may be getting a double discount!
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• stmar

I have not read anything in the SW4024 owner's manual that says it uses a % of the programmed settings. It does state that it will charge batteries and run loads simultaneously, dedicating more power to the loads when needed and taking away from the charging.

Footnote: I helped a neighbor put his generator in yesterday, huge diesel unit that will only be used for major grid outages. 120 amp main breaker on the generator. We installed a 200 amp transfer switch. He used the generator for welding so it had a welder receptacle on a 50 amp branch breaker so we ran a 6/4 SO cord from the switch to the receptacle. It will only be used for emergencies, loads will be reduced so as not to tax the 50 amp circuit. His gen set made my Honda look like a toy, lol.