Help on washing machine purchase. Inverter washing machine with direct drive?

nobody928
nobody928 Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
I am seriously thinking about purchasing this unit for my off grid application. Its an energy star tier 3 inverter driven LG washing machine.

http://www.lg.com/us/washers/lg-WT1201CV-top-load-washer

This seems perfect for off grid. Is there anything that stands out as why this wouldn't work out on a small solar application?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Help on washing machine purchase. Inverter washing machine with direct drive?

Not related to off grid--But are you sure you want to try a washer without a central agitator? Other brands (Maytag/others) seem to have problems with cleaning/unbalanced loads/tearing up clothes.

This LG has a few complaints that are similar (but overall a good rating).

I have a pair of 10 year old Fisher Paykel clothes washer and drier (on grid), that seems to do everything well. Direct drive motor (VFD) and seems to have low surge current. Not sure how it works off grid--but overall pretty nice. I do turn off power after every wash to stop "standby losses" (together, they both take about 9 watts--newer units?).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Help on washing machine purchase. Inverter washing machine with direct drive?

I LOVE my sears inverter front loader. Exceptionally good at cleaning and easy on clothes, water and soap. I'll never (and that's a long time) go back to top load.
    Awesome for off grid.
  • kev1n69
    kev1n69 Registered Users Posts: 19

what BB said.. the company i work for sells some of these agitatorless machines incl. lg models i would stay away.
    ive had several service calls on them and even one lg that would do nothing but sense the load and never add water to the machine. another group had a recall and had to change out the control board on every one we sold..

fisher and paykel have two agitatorless ones this year we havent ordered any in as they are 100-200$ higher priced than the lg machine but paykel did finally release a new improved agiTATOR model that is the one i would recommend
  • BB.

Welcome to the forum Kevin, and thanks for the feedback.

If you have any other suggestions for off grid folks (washers/dryers/stoves/etc..)--Please feel free to add your experiences.

Take care,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

I bought a staber years ago and it just runs. No seals to wear out and with the high speed spin, the clothes come out quite dry. In a pinch I have used polypro gear right out of the washer. No seals to worry about and a mechanical timer.

It takes folks awhile to figure out how a top loading horizontal axis washer works. Sure you pay more up front but its all US built and will run for a long time.
  • BB.

The is great to hear about the Staber... In times past, they had a reputation for leaks and should be installed somewhere that water can drain away (concrete pan with drain, etc.) without causing problems.

-Bill
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    peakbagger wrote: »
    It takes folks awhile to figure out how a top loading horizontal axis washer works.

I like the concept and design of a top loading horizontal axis washer. I would buy into it, but I think the staber is too small for my needs. We have some blankets, quilts, etc that are too big for it.

Are there any other top loading horizontal axis washers?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

What is wrong with a frontload LG washing machine? They are direct drive also and will run on inverter power just fine. Even though I am grid tied I have washed cloths, run the gas dryer, run my Geo spring waterheater and my 220 volt ac water pump without any problems. Like Wayne from Canada am very satisfied with my LG front loader. Have had it for 9 years without any service calls. The 2004 energy sticker for it says based on 8 loads a week, energy cost including electric to heat the water at $15 per year. When water heated with NG cost $10 per year. That is with cost of electric at 8.60 cents per kwh. and with gas cost at 91.0 cents per therm. This model uses180 kwh per year. all similar models uses least 113 kwh and models that uses most energy 680 kwh. Solarvic.
  • SCharles
    SCharles Solar Expert Posts: 123 ✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    I like the concept and design of a top loading horizontal axis washer. I would buy into it, but I think the staber is too small for my needs. We have some blankets, quilts, etc that are too big for it.
    --vtMaps

We have a Staber and, yes, large quilts and the like won't easily fit. Since I don't wash those items very often, I have gotten to where I just take a load of them to a laundromat.

Everything else is fine, though. Sheets, throw rugs included.

The best thing for my home, with the Staber, is that its water usage is so low. We have to be very conservative with water usage here, and at the time we bought the machine, three yr. ago, it was the winner in low water consumption. Plus, they work great from an inverter, our electricity is PV-provided. As someone else mentioned, the controls are simpler than most of the current, soft-touch control panel things you see in most washers these days.

They do cost more up front. Not inexpensive. But their low energy and water use is great. They also do a nice job cleaning the clothes and spinning them down to barely damp.

Or, that is our experience.
  • peakbagger

I am disappointed that Staber is unable/uninterested in going for Energy Star approval. I would expect they would be on the low end of the curve. The regional utilities offer rebates for new washers but only if they are energy star rated. I do notice that the VF drive does back feed some harmonics into the house electrical system. Nothing significant but it comes over my PC speakers.

I have had the washer for over 15 years and haven't bought a dryer yet. I agree they cost more but I think their life span is lot longer than current competitors. Looking at the drum, I don't think it will ever wear out.
  • SCharles
    SCharles Solar Expert Posts: 123 ✭✭
    peakbagger wrote: »
    I am disappointed that Staber is unable/uninterested in going for Energy Star approval. I would expect they would be on the low end of the curve. The regional utilities offer rebates for new washers but only if they are energy star rated.

I bought mine about three yr. ago. At that time, it qualified for the federal tax rebate, 30%. Our state does not have a state income tax rebate, so I don't know about that one. But it's good for the fed's.

In fact, now that I ponder it, the Staber was listed on the Energy Star web site.....
  • upa123
    upa123 Registered Users Posts: 17

We have had an LG front loader for 10 years, its been an outstanding washing machine, absolutely zero service issues with it. Would a buy again in a heartbeat.
  • peakbagger

Hmm Staber finally got with the program I guess as for quite awhile they were not listed.
  • dkpro1
    dkpro1 Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭
    nobody928 wrote: »
    I am seriously thinking about purchasing this unit for my off grid application. Its an energy star tier 3 inverter driven LG washing machine.

http://www.lg.com/us/washers/lg-WT1201CV-top-load-washer

This seems perfect for off grid. Is there anything that stands out as why this wouldn't work out on a small solar application?

we use this and love it
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052MUZBU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3A0CTMETG5D1S
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

The Avanti washer on Amazon is a small size portable, 1.70 cu ft verses the OP,s realistic size LG 4.5 Top loader. The review on Amazon said the cloths get twisted. Circumstances probably dictate what you buy. I am not saying the Avanti is bad if you are happy with it. I prefer a large size washer that can wash a realistic size load. I don not know the track record of the LG top loader but feel it would run just fine on an inverter. With experience I know the LG front loader with direct drive is energy efficient. I did a kilowatt test on my front loader and it uses .19 kwh for load of cloths. Solarvic