Comments

• walter01
    walter01 Registered Users Posts: 22
    Re: tristar mppt pallel HELP

ok, thanks.Possible also check the polarity of the sensor's battery tristar
  • walter01

Sorry, the polarity was written in small on the voltage sensor of the tristar are stupidAttachment not found.
  • walter01

Today 19/03/2014 4 tristar always in absorption, battery voltage sensors connected MEGAPULSE disconnected.
    Settings in custom tristar
    Attachment not found.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

The next thing to do is reduce the maximum Absorb time in 30 minute increments and see if you can get the controllers to drop into Float. This should also give an indication of if the battery Voltage is going below 50 and causing the controllers to add 30 minutes extended Absorb.

The other check would be to fire up a generator and Bulk charge the batteries very early in the morning so the PV & controllers have a chance at the 3 hours Absorb time before the sun goes too low.
  • walter01
    Re: tristar mppt parallel HELP

ok, thanks, I'll try
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I saw weird stuff like this happening, I found out that the Tristar MPPT keeps 2 sets of books !

One set has a 5 minute window, that shows up in the Data Log file http://tsmppt1234567/datalog.html
    the other is internal use only, with a 1 minute window, and that's the one that kicks off the FLOAT CANCEL . And while in
    float cancel, it displays some other state. I was finally able to use my Combox Log in 1 minute intervals, and could see the
    spikes that triggered the events, and was able to tweak my way around them. But the 2 sets of books, and erroneous State indicator was really throwing me. So if the batteries or cable allow the voltage to sag too much, then you get either extended absorb or float cancel.

PS, be sure you are READING the settings in the tristar, and not looking at commanded, unstored settings. I use MS view, not the web interface for the programming.

I'm not familiar with the screen capture you show, it's not MS View, or the web interface I use:
    [settings for NiFe batteres, not PbH2so4]
    Attachment not found.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• walter01

Hello Mike, but 68.5 V targets are not too much for the lead-acid batteries?? Now with this new setting, copying absorption from your tristar as 30 minutes, it goes in float (miracle).
    I don’t understand why if I increase the absorption it doesn’t go in float, do you know why?
    With only 30 minutes of absorption is it possible to charge the battery bank or 30 minutes are not enough to charge it?

Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

walter - do NOT use the voltages I have, they are for a NiFe battery bank, and could fry your inverter from the 68V

30 minutes is NOT enough to recharge a Lead acid bank, you need about 120 minutes. But you have shown your controller
    is working and cycles through the different stages.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• walter01

ok I did not think to put farlo.se absorption over the 30 minutes the tristar not going to float????
  • walter01

no, I won't do him/it.When the absorption overcomes the 30 minutes the tristars they don't go to float
  • sanitariu
    sanitariu Solar Expert Posts: 33 ✭✭

Just remove absorb time extend and it must fix your problem. I had the same but after i did custom setup with rs232 port now everything is perfect from 1 year. For my AGM batteries i put 150 minutes abs time and 1 hour float and it switches to float exactly after 150 minutes.
    Before i made these fixes it stays in abs for 5-6 hours sometimes. I have victron monitor and i know exactly that i did not spent more energy than previous day.....
    Setup all devices the same. Piece by piece...
    4 X 240watt Luxor, Victron Energy Multiplus Compact 24 volt 1200VA, electrodacus solar controller, 8 x WB-LYP160AHA LiFeYPO4 3.2volt