Silverfish
Silverfish Registered Users Posts: 4
Many thanks guys!!!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Converting 12v to 24v

Welcome to the forum.

Exactly what you'll need to go up to 24 Volts depends on exactly what you have now. Obviously the 12 Volt panel will not do it; another of the same will need to be connected in series to the existing ones to put the Voltage high enough to charge a 24 Volt system. The charge controller may or may not be usable for the higher Voltage; some can do either.

And of course you're going to need 24 Volts worth of battery. This presents something of a problem as any new battery needs to match the old one(s). Even if you get exactly the same battery, the old one may not 'match' well if it is too old and/or well used. So sometimes it is better to start with all new batteries.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Welcome to the forum SilverFish,

The only practical method to use that AC inverter is to get your battery bank to 24 VDC.

It is possible to keep the rest of the system at 12 volts (i.e., use a 12/24 volt balancer, takes power from lower 12 volt battery and recharges/or discharges upper 12 volt battery as needed)--But the complexity and costs generally limit it a possible solution on (for example) a large bus/truck chassis where you run the vehicle at 24 volts and the house at 12 volts.

I am a big believer in measuring/understanding your loads--Which drives the sizing of the battery bank (voltage and AH rating). Then you figure out the solar array/generator/AC-backup charging/etc. to keep the battery bank "happy" and run the loads to your expectations.

If your system is working well now--Perhaps your best bet would be to sell the 24 volt AC TSW inverter and get a 12 volt TSW inverter instead.... But without knowing more about your loads (peak watts, Watt*Hours per day, battery bank AH rating, charging sources, etc.), I cannot even guess what makes sense right now.

Smaller systems (say less than ~1,500 watts) can be very nice on a 12 volt battery bank... Larger systems (peak power, and/or ones that use a lot of AH/WH per day), generally are more cost effective/easier to manage with 24 or 48 VDC battery systems.

It all depends on your needs.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Silverfish
    Silverfish Registered Users Posts: 4

Many thanks guys!! I feared those solutions, either get a 12v inverter or double the system. It is what it is.. :)