New install

Options
I have a 2 story house with a tall south facing wall that faces15 degrees west of true South. I have a 2 foot over hang on this end and it is a gable so I can't put the panels on the roof. My question is in the summer time will the gable end of the house shade some of the roof panels if I mount them half way up the south side of the house? Does the sun get more than straight over head in the peak of summer is the real question? I live in Northwest Arkansas.

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: New install

Welcome to the forum "mb".
    While I have no experience living in your area, here in Nova Scotia, which is much further North than where you live, any overhang would definitely cause shading on the South side, especially during late Spring / early Summer when the sun rises to the North of East, sets to the North of West, and is high overhead at noon. During those times of the year, I would fully expect the situation to be much worse for you, being so much further South.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mb4859 wrote: »
    I have a 2 story house with a tall south facing wall that faces15 degrees west of true South. I have a 2 foot over hang on this end and it is a gable so I can't put the panels on the roof. My question is in the summer time will the gable end of the house shade some of the roof panels if I mount them half way up the south side of the house? Does the sun get more than straight over head in the peak of summer is the real question? I live in Northwest Arkansas.

If you have sun on your east and west roof slopes, why not put the panels there?

Back when solar panels were very expensive, it was cost effective to mount the panels on a pole and use a motor to aim the panels at the sun. Now that panels are so cheap, more folks find it more cost effective to just add a few more panels, rather than try to track mechanically.

One way to add more panels is to have some facing east and some facing west... that is called 'virtual tracking'.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • mb4859
    mb4859 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks guys for the info. vt I hadn't thought of that but it would be a possibility. I'm putting in 9 Sharp 250 panels and they are only costing my $144 each delivered. Ain't that a steal. I could get 12 and put 6 on each side and have 3000 watts instead of 2250 watts. I can put up to 18 panels with my Magnum 4448 inverter and MidNite 150 controller I have coming. I'm planning on eight 6volt Trojan L16's. I may double the batteries a little later. Going to pick up some solar hot water panels in a few days. Gotta replace the electric hot water heater.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Options
    mb4859 wrote: »
    I'm putting in 9 Sharp 250 panels and they are only costing my $144 each delivered

What model are they (and are they new) and where are you getting them from at that price (delivered)?
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html