Swicthing PV panels live?

I looked through the data sheet on my Sharp panles. I could not find anything regarding switching their ouput while they are producing voltage and driving a load.
The goal to connect 2 panels to the grid tie inverter all the time and switch the other 2 panels to an inverter that charges batteries when household demand is below the 4 panel's output. Most days, except hot summer days, the average demand is under 350W.
Is their a problem when the panels are all connected to the GT inverter and then 2 of 4 panels switched to another inverter via a relay?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Swicthing PV panels live?

Yes you can do this, but why do it?

If you need to keep batteries charged from solar just plug in the battery charger: the 'excess' output of the GTI will go to that rather than to the grid.

If you do want to switch panels under load the switch must be able to handle the full Isc and Voc of the panels.
  • Mosquito CA
    Mosquito CA Registered Users Posts: 4
    Re: Swicthing PV panels live?

I'm experimenting with different configurations. I'm using a 15A latching relay for 2 panels in series, max I about 9A.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes you can do this, but why do it?

If you need to keep batteries charged from solar just plug in the battery charger: the 'excess' output of the GTI will go to that rather than to the grid.

If you do want to switch panels under load the switch must be able to handle the full Isc and Voc of the panels.