Tools & Instruments Independent of Solar Array Size

zbodan
zbodan Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello everyone,

I have been browsing this forum for several days now and have been gathering great amounts of information about almost everything. Thank you for being so open with your knowledge and information, especially Cariboocoot.

I intend to build a yurt that will be solar powered, off-grid. I have yet to gather information on how much power I need to supply daily, etc.

What I am wanting to invest in right now are tools that will be required to efficiently run a solar system.

Currently, I have only a Kill-A-Watt power strip on my list of things to get (as that will help me gauge my normal energy expenses).
Can you guys think of anything else? Thinking along the lines of items that will be very useful or necessary, regardless of solar system size or set up.
(As far as I can tell, the items dependent on set up and size are wires, inverter, panels, batteries, charge controller. What is independent?)

Thank you for your time!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Tools & Instruments Independent of Solar Array Size

Welcome to the forum.

Another yurt, eh? I think yours if the fourth yurt project that has come up on the forum!

Somewhere around here is a thread about useful tools. I don't seem to be able to locate it right now.

Otherwise the #1 tool is a digital multi-meter. That will allow you to check DC and AC Volts at many levels, which is absolutely key to getting a system going and making sure it is working right. It can also measure Ohms and Amps (on a limited scale). Further to that there is a DC clamp-on Ammeter which can be helpful in certain circumstances, but it is a separate tool and more money than just a DMM.

If you're going with flooded cells (a wise choice to start) then a hydrometer is an inexpensive must. Less than $10 at most auto parts stores. Nothing will tell you the state of charge of your batteries like that (except a refractometer, which is more expensive and not as easy to use). Don't be fooled by people arguing accuracy; measurements are relative. When you first get the batteries you fully charge them, check the SG with your hydrometer, and write it down. Subsequent readings are relative to that 'baseline'.

Basically a solar electric power system is just electrical wiring, some AC and some DC, and all the standards and rules apply as they would with any wiring.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

To add to Marc's post... A few links.

I like the AC/DC current clamp DMM meter from Sears. Less than $60 and is "good enough" for our needs. The meter has a "weird" DC Current ZERO function--Play with the meter on your car wiring (lights on/off, engine running/off, etc.) and get used to how the zero button works.

Get a glass (not metal) thermometer to use with the hydrometer. You need to temperature correct specific gravity readings when logging your measurements.

A Battery Monitor (like the Trimetric or Victron) is very nice. And almost a required option for sealed/AGM type batteries (no specific gravity measurements).

The Kill-a-Watt type meter is pretty much a requirement for AC systems, and very handy for conservation planning around the house.

If you are going to do a lot of smaller DC appliances, the DocWattson DC AH/WH meters are very useful.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • zbodan
    zbodan Registered Users Posts: 2

Thank you very much, Marc and Bill!

Searching on Amazon, I found this clamp meter. Does this have all the functionality of a multimeter too? It seems that it does, except that I would not be able to measure amperage without the use of the clamp mechanism. Is that correct? (If so, would it be crucial to buy a separate multimeter to be able to measure amperage with lead cables?)
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

To tell the truth I don't see enough detail in the description of the product to know what it does. :confused:
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

My only question...400 amp scale on low current setting and 1,000 amps on high... Others are 40/400 amp scale... Closer to what we normally use on home sized systems.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

Whatever Clamp on Meter buy, you have to make sure it measures BOTH AC and DC. don't assume it does, you'll be disappointed. That one seems to do both.
  • northerner
    northerner Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »

Get a glass (not metal) thermometer to use with the hydrometer. You need to temperature correct specific gravity readings when logging your measurements.

-Bill

You can get a hydrometer with built in thermometer. Mine has a thermometer built in letting you know the temperature of the electrolyte, and also lists the amount to add or subtract from your reading.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    northerner wrote: »
    You can get a hydrometer with built in thermometer. Mine has a thermometer built in letting you know the temperature of the electrolyte, and also lists the amount to add or subtract from your reading.

You can also buy a "Hydrovolt" hydrometer from Midnite Solar. The Hydrovolt has built in temperature compensation... what you read on the dial is your SG at all temperatures.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i