lithium car battery

Options
ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
Not for solar but.. I thought I saw a new lithium car battery 12v on TV recently that wasnt 1000 bucks ...but 200$..
Am I imagining this..??? anyone hear of this..??

Comments

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: lithium car battery
    ws9876 wrote: »
    Not for solar but.. I thought I saw a new lithium car battery 12v on TV recently that wasnt 1000 bucks ...but 200$..

Definitely possible. SmartBattery has a 20ah 12V battery for about $280. It tends to have a lower ESR than an equal energy lead acid battery so you could live with a smaller ah rating.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Very interesting indeed. Had not realized these were available for more or less general automotive use.
    Wonder if they'll have to be encased in a special steel container with a vent pipe to the outside of the vehicle? :D

http://www.roadandtrack.com/lithium-batteries---not-just-for-hybrids
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    Definitely possible. SmartBattery has a 20ah 12V battery for about $280. It tends to have a lower ESR than an equal energy lead acid battery so you could live with a smaller ah rating.

$37,000 for the bank the same size as mine. About 4 times more expensive than my batteries.
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    $37,000 for the bank the same size as mine. About 4 times more expensive than my batteries.

Sounds about right. On the plus side they should do 2000 cycles.
  • ws9876
    ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    Options

ridiculous prices I hope theirs do blow up
    but there will be batt/caps soon that are affordable its coming
  • machineman
    machineman Solar Expert Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ws9876 wrote: »

I have a small 12V Li-ion for my dirtbike and love it. The bike sits in a shed for months unused and the lead acid battery hated that. The li-ion battery can sit for 6 months without use or trickle charge and its still at full capacity. Its also extremly light. It was a 4cell 12V and was around $90. I think these will be the next big thing for motoercycles and ATV's when the Prices come down. The 8cell Li-ion for my ATV would cost $250 so I'm holding off on that for now.

Off Grid Cabin, 24V 440ah 6V GC battery bank, Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC, Magnum MS4024 inverter-charger, >1200w Solar bank